Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Question about the TOS...

by EdH / February 10, 2008 12:42 AM PST

I know it is not permitted to post in languages other than English without providing a translation, but what about posting in "code"; using words or oblique references to insult or run down other members?

There is quite a lot of this in SE, especially from one member who uses this technique to fly under the radar of the Mods. Is this permitted? Seems to me like it should be a TOS violation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about the TOS...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about the TOS...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Noted
by JP Bill / February 10, 2008 12:07 PM PST
Collapse -
JP you have been here longer than me
by WOODS-HICK / February 21, 2008 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: Noted

do you know what edh is referring to. I told him I would help him. how does one see a 'code' that only one member recognizes. it has to be very obvious unless this 'code' is used by someone familiar with it. in my job we use many words for lighting equipment that mean something mainly to another worker or co-workers in different departments. did you have similar words (slang, nicknames) in your job? military is loaded with them.

if you spot any 'coders' (is that a word?) post something to me in a reply.

see you back at SE.

Collapse -
Latest example....
by EdH / February 10, 2008 10:45 PM PST
LINK

Sounds like gibberish, unless you know that it is a personal attack on someone (in this instance, me).

Why is this allowed to go on?
Collapse -
something like this
by WOODS-HICK / February 21, 2008 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Latest example....

For example, there is the story of the person who picked Bible verses at random. The first choice was;

"and Judas went out and hanged himself"

The person picking the verses thought this a bit odd, and so chose a second verse at random;

"Go thou and do likewise"

It helps to understand the passage that you are quoting. Vague suggestions do not cut it

that is the end ofit. what do you think? I hope he takes the hint I gave him. I asked him if this 'code' and if he was being "oblique" like you suggested. check it out. wow when you know what you are looking for it jumps right of f the page. it seemed obvious but maybe because you warned us.

Collapse -
Actually, the material I posted is a well known, and
by Kiddpeat / February 21, 2008 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: something like this

frequently used example of the silly results which can be obtained by taking Bible verses out of context. It is always meant to be a humerous explanation of what can go wrong. Since, in this case, we were discussing the issue of taking a partial 'Bible' verse out of context, the material fits perfectly.

It is strange that Hicks would think this is some kind of code. One wonders what he must be thinking to reach such a conclusion.

Collapse -
I post almost everyday in SE & have never seen anything
by WOODS-HICK / February 21, 2008 5:06 AM PST

like you describe. if there is some code; are you the only one that sees it or recognizes it from code you have used yourself.

I will keep my eye out for this "code".

will set this as homepage for a few days so I do not forget.

I will also reply to JP because he posts there almost everyday.

thanks for the heads up. let me know if I can help in some way.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?