Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

question about the signature in word document

I'm a secretary of a small club. When I'm required to send a signed letter I send a printed and signed letter by snail post as I do not think it's prudent to send anything with my signature through email.

Am I right in thinking that? When signed letters ( in doc form) arrive from other people - when I click on the signature it shows a box which can be copied and pasted - so in theory it is possible to create a letter with somebody else's signature.

Question : is there a safe way to create and send a signed letter?
Would changing a doc file to pdf file with say PDFCreator with " copy text and images" disallowed by enough?

I have WindowsXP and Word 2000 , PDFCreator to change doc into pdf and generally no experience with working with Word. I'm learning as I go and only a very basic stuff.

Thank you
Cesia

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question about the signature in word document
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question about the signature in word document
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How does one pay the bills?

In reply to: question about the signature in word document

I send checks with my signature weekly through the US Mail.

Is that a bad idea?

Bob

Collapse -
signed letter through email

In reply to: How does one pay the bills?

Bob, the question I meant to ask - Is it safe to send a signed letter (doc file) through email? I do not have problems with Australian Post
Cesia

Collapse -
Usually fine.

In reply to: signed letter through email

But today's world has changed drastically. Such a signature is not valid for agreements but are generally accepted as valid for reports.

-> You do bring up a concern here.

Bob

Collapse -
Available Technology

In reply to: Usually fine.

There are several technologies available out there that can be used to validate signatures. Normally they go through a provider such as verisign to insure the secuirty of a signature. A Google search regarding signature pads or signature validation should be able to give you some good information.

Collapse -
e-signature

In reply to: Available Technology

A new e-signature service for professionals was released last year from ConXPoint (www.conxpoint.com). They allow you to edit Office documents, save to an online vault, then send secure esignature requests to anyone with or without an email address.

Collapse -
e-signature.

In reply to: question about the signature in word document

I have received letters with no signatures (from banks and local authorities, etc.), but with the statement " This letter is generated by a computer. No signture is required." Or words to that effect. Maybe you can do the same ?

Collapse -
Addendum

In reply to: e-signature.

The e-mail header alredy shows the origion or source of the mail.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks, I think I'll do the same (nt)

In reply to: e-signature.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.