HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Question about the MS Security Update CD..

by radean / June 5, 2004 4:54 AM PDT

My daughter tried upgrading to WMP9, and it caused errors, and the machine would only work in Safe Mode. Had to do complete system reinstall to get out of this.
Using the MS Security Update CD, which installs WMP9, again caused the same problem, and had to reinstall system again.

Using "explore" on the MS CD of course shows the serarate programs, like DX9b, and IE6 SP1, WMP9, etc.

So my question is, has anyone tried installing any programs directly from the files shown on the CD?

I have done this before with some of the older MSN mailout CDs, which always included some "extras", and worked fine.
Just hesitant to do it with the Security Update CD, as I would rather not go thru the reinstalling again Sad
Thanks for any replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about the MS Security Update CD..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about the MS Security Update CD..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Question about the MS Security Update CD..
by Donna Buenaventura / June 6, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

Hi Ray,

I've upgraded 2 days ago the WMP in Win XP using the MS Security Updates CD. No problems so far but I understand that not all system are the same (example: RAM, OS and/or 3rd party programs). Does your daughters' PC is using Win ME or Win XP? If yes, you can try installing WMP 9 using the Security Update CD but before you do that, create a restore point. Just in case, the system will not boot properly, you can restore the system to earlier state (prior installing WMP 9)

As per Microsoft:

Turn on System Restore before installing the Player

Before installing Windows Media Player 9 Series, verify that System Restore is turned on. System Restore is available in Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP Home Edition, and Windows XP Professional. For more information about System Restore, see Windows Help. Note that if you are running Windows Millennium Edition, you must download an update for System Restore.

Make sure that the system meets the requirement before installing WMP 9.

You might want to read the known issues too

In case you remember the error message or error ID, look for the possible solution in this page or in http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#wmp9

Collapse -
Sorry Donna...
by radean / June 6, 2004 2:31 AM PDT

Forgot to mention the important stuff. Her computer is a Compaq, 500Mhz Celeron, running WIN98SE, with 192 Meg Ram. So no System Restore available. She does have a Restore partition, but it doesn't want to work from Safe Mode. Go figure...

I use XP, and I didn't use the Update CD, since I was already up to date, and I didn't really want WMP9 installed on mine.
Appreciate the reply.

Collapse -
Re:Sorry Donna...
by Donna Buenaventura / June 6, 2004 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry Donna...

I haven't try to install WMP 9 on my Win98SE Ray so I can't tell (yet) whether it'll be OK or not.

I fround in http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#rmadaptec and http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#blockadaptec that WMP will crash if InCD 2.x or Adaptec/Roxio CD Burning plug-in is installed. Does your daughters' PC has this plug-in?

Do you remember the error message? It can help us determine the cause and then find a possible solution to avoid the error Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Sorry Donna...
by radean / June 6, 2004 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Sorry Donna...

I installed Nero 5.5 on her computer, but did not install InCD. Made sure of that, since it's not very reliable IMO. No Roxio products installed that I can find.
Sure wish I could give you the error message, but didn't write it down at the time, and really don't want to see it again Happy
All I remember was the blue screen, and the last part about "Press any key, may be able to continue" or close to that. Then it would go into Safe mode.

Actually, my real question was about exploring the Update CD, and installing maybe IE6SP1, directly from the IE6 folder on the disk. You know, just clicking on IE6 Setup..?
Anyway, I fully understand if you can't help with the limited information I have. I'll be sure to record error messages in the furure.
And, if you do use the Update on your WIN98 machine, please post back about how it went. Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.