PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Question about new hard drive, please help

So i bought a new hard drive today because my old one died, i installed it and popped the windows xp cd in making sure cd-rom is the first boot device when i start up. Thats when i am greeted with a message that says "Invalid BOOT Diskette
Insert BOOT Diskette in drive A:"
So, ok...i look for the windows xp boot disk and find it on microsoft's site. Pop that disk in and i'm greeted with the same message. Am i doing somthing wrong? I have never installed a new hard drive so am i missing something? Any help would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about new hard drive, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about new hard drive, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Question about new hard drive, please help

In reply to: Question about new hard drive, please help

ok first when you turn on the computer go in to your bios if you have a dell it will be f12 if not either be escape or f1 or f2 then choose your boot prority and it will go in to this order hdd,cdrom,floppy if that dont work try it in this order cdrom,hdd.floppy save to cmos and exit, (why you are in the bios go ahead and open your cdrom door and put your cd in) when the computer loads it should automatically start the process cause they is no way it can boot into floppy with out going through cdrom or hdd first hope this helps good luck

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Question about new hard drive, please help

I have never seen a Dell that uses F12, they either use F2, F1 or the Delete key. All Dells made in the last 2-3 years use F2.

Collapse -

I tried both of those, and neither worked. I saw on another website that i might have to run fdisk and format before i could use the hd, so i found my old dell resource cd and booted that up and formatted and ran fdisk. Everything went well, so i restarted and now i get a "Invalid system disk, remove disk and hit any key" message. Now the resource cd wont even let me boot into dos anymore, it just goes to that message everytime even tho floppy is set to boot last...

Collapse -

You do not run Fdisk and format with Windows XP. What you do is put in the Dell Windows XP CD, boot from the CD drive and then partition the drive during the install, that is one of the first options, to delete the partition (if you mistakenly created it with Fdisk) and then create a new one that is NTFS.

Collapse -

that's a puzzler.

well if you're certain you did in fact set your boot sequence to start with cd, (check that first), that message may mean you accidentally disconnected the cd drive and maybe the a drive while you were installing the hdd . . .

so I would check boot sequence again, and your wires . . . also the jumpers on the new hdd may be conflicting with the cd rom drive. do cable select on everything.

--fj

Collapse -

Did you press any key when it it asked..."press any key to boot from cd"? It goes through very quickly (maybe 3-5 seconds).

Collapse -

psst hey reset your boot priority now it will go hdd cdrom and floppy and see if you took the floppy out of the floppy drive

Collapse -

and by the way excuse me if i forgot if i rearranged my f12 to be my bios

Collapse -

I KNOW THIS MIGHT SOUND SILLY BUT I TAKE IT THAT THAT YOU SET UP THE CD AS YOUR BOOT DRIVE FROM THE BIOS SCREEN. DID YOU SAVE THIS SETTING PRIOR TO REBOOTING.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.