Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Question about merging Spreadsheet data to create emails

by musiczineguy / April 8, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

I have a question...

I run a music review e-zine and I spend a lot of time each month manually creating emails to various publicists and record labels. I gather the information for the emails using an Excel spreadsheet. I use Microsoft Outlook for my email.

Let's say I have three columns as below:

Email Address | Artist | Description

and I use more or less a form letter to request review copies of upcoming CD releases. Can I pull information FROM Excel TO Outlook consisting of:

Email address -- goes into the "send to" field for the email.

Artist and Description -- goes into the body of the email as a variable.

Can I do something like this with Excel and Outlook so that I can just do... well, something like a mail merge to get the emails sent rather than doing it all manually?

If anybody can help me out or even point me in the direction of how to do this (if it's do-able), I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about merging Spreadsheet data to create emails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about merging Spreadsheet data to create emails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: e-mail from Excel
by Kees Bakker / April 8, 2007 10:52 PM PDT

I'd use Word 2003. The good old mail-merge in Word (to print letters or labels) has been augmented to send e-mail.
And, like the 'old' mailmerge it can use data from Excel. Each row becomes an e-mail with variables filled in from that row.

Some help:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA010349201033.aspx

Better test with your own email-address until it's perfect.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Excel to email
by vinu2u20 / April 11, 2007 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: e-mail from Excel

Yes, Word is the tool to use to create this email mail merge. You don't get to set the email address field or the subject until the last step so just type the actual email contents and then, when you're ready to email you will complete the subject and choose the field to use to email to.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!