Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Question about laptop hard drives.

by chasemassey / December 14, 2008 11:52 AM PST

I recently purchased a macbook with a 160 GB, 5400 RPM hard drive and need to upgrade it to a 7200 RPM hard drive.

My question is about noise, vibration, and power.

I understand a 7200 RPM hard drive will naturally make more noise than a 5400 RPM drive. However...

Will a 320 GB hard drive running at 7200 RPM make more noise and vibrations than a 250 GB or 200 GB hard drive running at 7200 RPM.

Also, will a 320 GB hard drive running at 7200 RPM draw more power than a 250 GB or a 200 GB hard drive running at 7200 RPM?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about laptop hard drives.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about laptop hard drives.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Also...
by chasemassey / December 14, 2008 1:02 PM PST

I heard some 2.5 hard drives will not fit in the aluminum macbook. Has anyone had any experiences with a 2.5 drive not fitting?

Finally, does a free fall censer really make a difference and if so how can I know if the drive has one? Out of all the drives I've looked at not one mentions a free fall censer in the specs.

Collapse -
No and yes
by Jimmy Greystone / December 14, 2008 1:17 PM PST

No and yes, in that order. The capacity of the drive shouldn't have any impact on the amount of vibration. However, the added RPMs will require more power to sustain, and it will also generate more heat which you failed to take into account.

There isn't really that big of a performance boost in a 7200RPM drive over a 5400RPM, but even a few BTUs of additional heat can mean life or death to a laptop. You might want to check around to see what experiences others have had. Also, I can say that unless Apple radically changed the internal design of the MacBooks, swapping out the hard drive is not for the faint of heart. It will require damn near total disassembly of the entire laptop. So poking around online for a guide might not be a bad idea, unless you have a perfect photographic memory.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!