HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

General discussion

Question About Internet Enabled Samsung UNC6500 Series HDTV

by Us- / May 16, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

Hi,

I was reading on the well respected AVS forums of a "possibly" very serious issue with the internet enabled HDTV's from Samsung.

We have pretty much narrowed our purchase down to the 6500 (esp for the internet) However, we have read a few threads on AVS that have stated tha Samsung has released a number of sets with the same MAC address??!!

I hope people who own this TV, and a Samsung Rep can chime in about this.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question About Internet Enabled Samsung UNC6500 Series HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question About Internet Enabled Samsung UNC6500 Series HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually a non-issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 12:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
Possible MAC Address problem on Samsung Internet Enabled TV
by Us- / May 16, 2010 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Usually a non-issue.

Well, what we read is a person who owned the 6500 went to play their Pandora Station, and all of a sudden saw other people's stations. They also noticed a different email address than the one they provided. So they contacted Pandora support and were told that address was registered to 3 different TV's.

I think they also had this problem with another online service (I would have to go to that forum and find their posts to be more specific)

Collapse -
Possible MAC Address problem on Samsung Internet Enabled TV
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 16, 2010 9:33 PM PDT

Us-,

I'm not really one to question other people's experiences. Keep in mind that it's the Internet... and... well... "It's the internet". Anything can happen. It could be several people with the same unit who are accessing a public Wi-Fi signal, such as an apartment complex who was nice enough to offer it for free - I mean, the variables are numerous on why they would conflict without knowing WHY they are conflicting. I use an open network in my testing, and have never run into that, prototype, pre-release Beta-B, or post release consumer version of the product.

Assuming you have your own network (router), I can't imagine this being an issue.

In pretty much every case I've ever seen or had the ability to interact with, someone else's email address only applied when the unit was a customer return. So let's say I had the TV or Blu-Ray player, signed up to the services, and then decided to return it, or upgrade or whatever. The next person who got my unit would likely have access to my movies if the television wasn't reset properly. The same with units that were store displays, and an overeager retail associate plugged in his account so he could rock out to "Pandora at work". In those cases, re-assigning the device to a new account is pretty simple, and I've not seen where someone wasn't able to do it for that reason.

Netflix generally gives you a number of devices that you can connect. With my test units, I use my own account here, and have never run into an issue where some stranger's account information appeared on my unit. I've had to re-assign my devices on occasion because I broke the 6-unit maximum threshold for Netflix (I think in testing, we assign everything to my poor Netflix account, which changes devices every week - I'm sure any Netflix account auditor must be wondering what the heck I'm doing over here!), but connecting it back with the service is relatively easy.

I'm not led to believe that this would be a pain point in the ownership of the C6500. I'll stand back and see if anyone posts anything, but at work or home, it's pretty straightforward, and as noted above, shouldn't conflict with your home network.

Does that help explain a little? If not, post your concerns and I'll do my best to address them.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Now the picture is clearer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2010 10:06 PM PDT

If any company used the MAC address as a means of identifying you or a device then while that was technically correct it fails in reality. Sorry about all the technical stuff I shared above but it was to show it wouldn't/shouldn't matter for the 99.99999% of us UNLESS this address was used for non-network uses. Which you just revealed.

I can see how it could mess up Pandora but that was Pandora's choice in design and a good example to software designers to not rely on that.

If you are so inclined you can research (google?) SMAC and MAC ADDRESS CHANGING which doesn't apply to this device but is widely used on computers to change and test MAC address effects.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.