HDTV Picture Setting forum

Question

question about handloing of 1080p/24 material by LED TVs

This is a naive question by someone upgrading their TVs. The Vizio XVT3 got an excellent rating by CNET reviews. However they noted improper handling of 1080p/24 which is a bit surprising since the TV is 240hz (a multiple of 24). The question I have is whether this will be a problem if I want to view movies on a blu-ray player. The CNET quick guide to HDTV (http://reviews.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/?tag=rb_content;rb_mtx) suggests that the problem may be subtle - but this did not sound subtle in the CNET review of this TV. On the other hand, the "guide" also suggests that Blu-ray output by the player is usually modifiable so that a better "speed" can be chosen? Any advice on the probelm in general or on this TV in particular?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question about handloing of 1080p/24 material by LED TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question about handloing of 1080p/24 material by LED TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just a thought.

In reply to: question about handloing of 1080p/24 material by LED TVs

"For most viewers the visible benefits of 1080p/24 are slight."

This has been my experience as well. After watching too many, I would not pay for anything beyong what works.
Bob

Collapse -
clarification...

In reply to: Just a thought.

Thanks Bob, I guess the question is since native Blue ray typically plays at 1080p/24 whether this is a problem for this TV, or whether output from Blu-ray players can be adjusted so that this TV will be able to display the film correctly?

Collapse -
Read the review and did not see the problem you noted.

In reply to: clarification...

However I find many folk to have a hard time getting around the ideas of frame rates, panel rates and how it must divide evenly. In this case it does so it should give the right effect.

However there are folk that will not accept anything. And I mean this. I have a friend I will not speak about tech items with since everything they buy gets returned. It's always something. Such as the font on the button labels are "wrong". Or a button is not at the same height as the other (seems to be preoccupied with buttons?) and then they hate the little black lines on displays.

Yes he does get out a " Magnifying Loupe " to show them but I don't want HD content with those.
Bob

Collapse -
clarification

In reply to: Read the review and did not see the problem you noted.

Collapse -
Then why buy it?

In reply to: clarification

Why it looks fine to me, you are the one that must be happy.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.