Mac OS forum

General discussion

Question about faxing...

I have understood that you can fax items from a computer... I have never needed to since I have a fax machine. However it is packed away and I need to fax something that is already on my computer anyway (I would have printed it out to fax it).

So... I have an iBook G4 OS Tiger.

Can I fax an item and how?

also...

It is connected via airport to DSL.

Would I have to use the built in phone modem to do the faxing or can the DSL connection do the work?

No real hurry... I have a day or two to get this done.

Thanks in advance for all help Happy

grim

PS: I will do a google search on this as well but any and all advice can sometimes speed up finding the best way to do such activities. Learn from other folks experience is good don't you know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about faxing...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about faxing...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The answer is, the internal modem

In reply to: Question about faxing...

Unless you subscribe to one of the paid Fax services like eFax, you will not be able to send fax's over the DSL line.
The fax option, in the print menu, uses the internal modem (if fitted) to dial the fax number directly. While it works, it is nowhere near as functional as a dedicated fax program. Remember those?

P

Collapse -
Dedicated fax programs?

In reply to: The answer is, the internal modem

No, don't remember those.

Question came to mind as I've researched this... and been side tracked more than once ;)... what types of files can be faxed from a computer? Word documents? PDF files? I guess one opens the file in its native program and the File > Print menu offers the Fax option?

Very interesting conundrum... dealing with a technology that is obsolete for some and used everyday by others!

They didn't teach this in my MS office class at college! Grin

grim

Collapse -
Dedicated Fax Programs

In reply to: Dedicated fax programs?

Back in the day, before what we no know as the Internet, several software company's produced software that allowed you to send and receive fax's on your Mac.
FAXstf springs to mind. Programs contained address books, cover page generators, IN/OUT boxes, pending, etc., rather like today's email client.
Once email became so prevalent, faxing (on a Mac at least) kinda faded away, but not entirely. A quick Google search shows that SmithMicro, the makers of FAXstf, are still alive and well and have produced an OS X version of their software.

As to faxing from OS X without any additional software. The rules are, if you can print it, you can fax it.
Just hit print and select the fax option. There is not a lot of feedback from the software, but it does work.
FAXstf operates in much the same way. Once installed there is a FAX option in the File menu, usually revealed by pressing a modifier key (Option if I remember correctly) when you click on File.

Hope that clarifies things a little

P

Collapse -
so the steps to get there...

In reply to: Question about faxing...

1) Identify the document you want to print... if you can print it to 8-1/2"x11" to a printer, you can fax it.

2) connect the fax-modem on your iBook to a working phone line with an RJ11 cable... same kind your analog phone would use.

3) In System Preferences, select "Print and Fax" and "set up the Fax Modem". Fill in the blanks...

4) When you are ready, open the document you want to fax - Instead of printing to the printer, print to the fax machine. It should prompt you for the phone number of the far-side fax machine...

Any Mac with a built-in modem can do this - the newer Macs have dropped the built-in piece (the modem is now an optional external USB tail)...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.