Computer Help forum

General discussion

question about explorer

by antonio220 / November 1, 2004 10:52 AM PST

I have a big question about the browser explorer... the other somehow i was online and some weird programs automaticly intalled itself on my pc, it didnot cause any problems at all but now everytime i open up explorer it will start on a certain page and it will not allow me to change that page from the properies window then two other windows will pop saying that some spyware system or to check my computer for viruses... i already run the norton antivirus but it didnot find any virus i also run the spyware form lavasoft ware and it didn;t find anything.. does any body know how to delete those windows from poping up everytime i get online..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question about explorer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question about explorer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are "infested" by
by Ray Harinec / November 1, 2004 10:58 AM PST

a hijacker. Search the virus forum for the downloads to get rid of it.

Collapse -
Re: question about explorer
by antonio220 / November 1, 2004 12:44 PM PST

is there a quicker way to get rid of all those thinks.... well i hope so if not i'll take the long run

Collapse -
''Norton'' isn't going to do it.
by Cursorcowboy / November 1, 2004 8:27 PM PST

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Receiving an error "SO Exploit: . . ." (data source object) caused by the active secutity setting "Download unsigned ActiveX controls", it could be set to "Disable" or "Prompt" or ignore the produced error.

d. "CWShredder v2" or "CWShredder v1.59.1."

Note: It is being reported in the "Virus Alerts" forum, "Testers from several security forums are reporting issues with the new CWShredder (version 2). It is recommended to use the original program until further notice."

Caveat: Problems connecting? Try "Computer Cops" and find the files in question to download from there.

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", "Malware Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings."

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.

4. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

(1) "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

(2) "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

5. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (click to see a screen shot) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (click to see an example).

6. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Setting Up Security Zones."

b. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

c. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

Collapse -
by Rangerbob357 / November 1, 2004 8:47 PM PST

Well if'n you want to get it done right you can go back to microsoft(if'n you can get there and re-install IE 6. Success is dependent of course on how deep the jacker.axe nailed you. Good Luck!!

Collapse -
by Yew / November 1, 2004 8:46 PM PST

Welcome to the ever growing problem of spyware, and it's #1 accomplice, Internet Explorer. Simple reality of the situation, is that the more you use Internet Explorer and/or Outlook Express, the more this is going to become a problem for you. Thankfully, there's a simple two step process to deal with it.

The first step is to download a copy of AdAware and Spybot. Make sure to update the both of them, then let each of them scan your system. You'll probably be amazed at the amount of garbage that's been put on your system without you even knowing it.

After you've let those programs clean up the problems you've already got, step two is preventing them from being able to come back. For that, you need to abandon all use of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express (except for visits to Windows Update). Download a copy of Firefox (and Thunderbird if you use Outlook Express) 1.0RC1. It should be able to import almost all IE settings for you on the first run, including bookmarks. Then you make Firefox (and Thunderbird) your default web browser (and Thunderbird for email) and pretend that IE doesn't exist. Since IE is at the root of probably 75% or better of all spyware infestations like yours, using a browser like Firefox cuts that route off at the knees. And might I suggest you investigate the AdBlock (http://adblock.mozdev.org) extension for Firefox. It is a life changing extension that allows you to filter out ads of all kinds. Banner ads, ads in frames, ads in the middle of an article, ads on the side of a page, flash ads, you name it. It lets you reclaim the space used by those ads, and at the same time blocks the browser from even downloading the ads, even if you aren't seeing them. It's one of those indespenible extensions, and there are plenty more.

And if for some reason Firefox isn't to your liking, you can always give Opera a try. But that's your only other option on Windows, because all other "browsers" are really IE at the core, and then you would have gained almost nothing.

Collapse -
by antonio220 / November 8, 2004 10:31 AM PST

there is something wrong with this browser or with mypc... i really dont understand. i download it and installed but whenever i open it, it will not let me open any other progams... what up with that... and if i try to open any menu from the up tool bar, it goes crazy.. is that normall... let me know.

Collapse -
by antonio220 / November 15, 2004 10:38 AM PST

never mind is working properly now but now my question is that if delete explorer, like clean it out from my pc.would that bring me some consequences after,, i already have firefox or how about netscape... please let me know which one is better and what will happen if idelete explorer

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 10:43 AM PST

You need Internet Explorer for Windows Updates so you can't delete it. As far as an alternative browser, whichever is your personal prefernce would be the best one.

Collapse -
by antonio220 / November 15, 2004 11:44 AM PST

o.k. so i can delete it so how can i do some kind of set up that will not open explorer every time i get online, instead firefox should open up.... how can i do that.

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 12:03 PM PST

No Antonio, I said you can NOT delete it. Sorry of you misunderstood.

Collapse -
by rgiltner / November 15, 2004 12:34 PM PST

Hi Antonio, IE can't be removed (Microsoft hooked it into the base code) - all you can do is ignore its icons and not use it.
As for not having it open when you click on a web page, when you install Firefox (strongly preferred over Netscape etc and MUCH faster), it will ask if you want it to be your 'default browser'. Simply click on 'yes' and every webpage you try to open after that will use Firefox.
If you happen to pick a different browser (I have buddies who swear by Netscape and a few who love Opera), they will ask the same "default" question sometime during the install.
If you want to bypass the hijacker in IE, click on 'tools' 'internet options' and write down the address in the address block under the 'general' tab then do the following steps:
Click on security tab, click on restricted site, then the 'sites' button. Add the address you wrote down into the list. Put in the general address...
for instance. If the address of the bad site is http://xyz.badsite.com/blahblahblah/whatever then just add to the list the first part substituting an asterisk before the first period... like:
http://*.badsite.com
Then, any address from badsite.com will be blocked.
My IE bad list was long so I use foxfire.

Collapse -
by antonio220 / November 22, 2004 11:12 AM PST

did i mention how much i love you for helping with this little problems... keep it up

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?