Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Question about DVD-Rom drives and region settings

by sawcat / November 16, 2005 1:17 PM PST

I tried searching and didn't find a clear answer. I'm interested in buying some DVDs from the UK (I'm in the States) of shows not shown and sold on DVD here. Now I see that I can set my dvd drive to play whatever region I would like. My question is

a. Is PAL the same as region 2?
b. If I set a dvd drive to region 2, will it play a PAL Region 2 disk?

Because I was considering buying a second dvd-rom drive for my computer so I could watch some of these dvds, or would I just be better off buying a stand alone player for the tv?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about DVD-Rom drives and region settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about DVD-Rom drives and region settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just FYI.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 9:03 PM PST

The region setting and the video encoding has no direct connection. One does not make the other mandatory.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Question about DVD-Rom drives and region settings
by SunderlandFan / November 16, 2005 9:20 PM PST

PAL and region 2 are not necessarily the same. PAL disks may also be region 3 or 4.
If you want to watch region 2 disks on your computer then adding a second drive is a good idea. The region setting on the computer drive can only be changed 5 or 6 times before it becomes locked, so if you only have one then you can only switch so many times.
If you set the new drive to region 2 and use PowerDVD or Intervideo software to play then they will play PAL disks. There may be other software that will do this but these are the ones that I have.
Before buying a new drive check out some dvd players. I have a Cyberhome 300 from Walmart that can be set to region free and plays both PAL and NTSC perfectly. I think they are about $30 in the US.
There are lots available. Go to www.videohelp.com and check out the dvd section.

SF

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!