Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Question about downloads and attachments

by grandpaw7 / March 5, 2005 10:45 AM PST

I got an email from a friend that had two attachments, described in the email as follows:

Attachment : Anti-Road_Rage.wmv (1.01 MB), 1Anti-Theft.wmv (2.20 MB. (Hotmail's Trend and my AVG both okayed them.)

When I clicked on each of these, I was able to download the graphics they contained.

When I went to forward the email to another friend (and to myself to check how it came out), that email showed the following as an attachment:

Attachments: message5.txt(< 0.01 MB)

When I clicked on that attachment and downloaded and opened, I got a blank Notepad page. (The email to me had not text other than the gobbablygook in the heading.)

I'm just wondering why the email I sent didn't give access to the attachments I received? And I'm wondering what I should have done in order that my friend get the attachments?

I'm not interested in these particular attachments. But I just want to see if I can understand what happened in order to educate myself about such matters for future use.

Thanks, grandpaw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about downloads and attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about downloads and attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by rattlinbones / March 5, 2005 11:26 AM PST

Hello grandpaw7. I hope that like me and as your name infers, we are both grandpa's? What email program are you using? Microsoft Outlook has a draconian thingee that stops access to attachments. There are a couple of ways around it. The first and best is to get youself a copy of Firefox. It is a better browser and has an inbuilt email program. The second do a search on Google for a little app called "attachment options", when installing follow the instructions and you should be okay.

Collapse -
Correction
by rattlinbones / March 5, 2005 11:45 AM PST

Mozilla Firefox does not have its own inbuilt email app as I previously stated, you have to download Mozilla Thunderbird. Believe me, it is worth the effort.

Collapse -
If you are using Hotmail
by glb613 / March 5, 2005 7:21 PM PST

there is a bug that causes this problem. I have several friends with Hotmail accounts and they have the same problem. So far, no fix is available.

Collapse -
Thanks to rattlinbones and glb
by grandpaw7 / March 5, 2005 9:55 PM PST

I use Hotmail, so now I know the problem is with it. I primarily use Firefox and have installed Thunderbird. But like the guy who couldn't stop drinking I haven't yet been able to wean myself off of Hotmail, the old dog, new tricks syndrome. Maybe now I will.

Yes, indeed, rattlinbones, I am a granpa. If I had known it was so much fun, I would have been born one.

grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!