Cameras forum

General discussion

Question about Digital Rebel - lens versus moving subjects

by Acts7 / November 30, 2004 4:47 AM PST

Im new to digital / photohraphy in general.

Im kinda confused because Ive used the point and click so long I can take pictures in my sleep.

Okay so if my 3 year old is at soccer practice and I want to capture him and his buddies...
Is the f stop what Im concerned with and do I want that to be high or low?

My other concerns are night photography and portraits.

What lens would you reccommend for each. Why are you reccommending those? For which would I want a small fstop and which would I want a larger fstop.

At night do I then want to let in more or less light? IF Im capturing streetlights etc... And if less or more how does that relate to fstops?

Thanks a TON

Acts7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about Digital Rebel - lens versus moving subjects
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about Digital Rebel - lens versus moving subjects
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Question about Digital Rebel - lens versus moving subjec
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 30, 2004 9:02 AM PST

Wow....3 year olds playing soccer....that should be a sight. Absolutely the time for a photo.

The digital Rebel would be a good choice. I would get the kit version that has a zoom lens with it. Then you need to buy a fast lens. But fast zoom lenses are EXPENSIVE. Buy the standard (non zoom) EF 50mm f1.8 lens. You can probably find that for about $100.

When used with the Rebel, it will perform the same as a 80mm lens. Due to the difference between the size of the sensor as compared to the size of a 35mm negative.

An 80mm lens if perfect for portraits and should serve well on the soccer field. The f1.8 setting is good for the those night shots and it is helpful with portraits because it can produce a short depth of field. That way you can cause the background to be out of focus and less of a distraction.

The confusion with f-stops: A large opening (to let in more light) is a small number (f1.8). A small opening to reduce the amount of light is a large number (f16).

You can also increase the amount of light going to the cameras sensors by changing the ISO setting in the camera. With film cameras you bought a faster film. With digital cameras you raise the ISO setting. The Rebel has quite a few ISO settings.

Collapse -
by Acts7 / December 1, 2004 2:47 AM PST
http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=cn5018
So then you are reccommending a lens like this?

Two questions - since its not a zoom lens will it still autofocus? To my knowledge this item is not on display anywhere that I can check it out so forgive my iignorance.

What I mean is when I half-depress the "capture" button will it focus or is is more what you see is what you get?

Finally do you know anywhere that I can learn more about the different canon lens - I dont quite understand how to find a good zoom lens that will take great pictures. There are some reasonably priced ones like - 150 but those are obviously the cheaper ones as the almost same model number can also be found on the same sites for 500+ dollars.

Thanks

Acts7
Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 8:16 AM PST

Yes, the lens in the Abes ad is the one.

This is the standard lens that comes with most Canon SLR cameras if you buy a camera with a basic lens. The camera stores do not push this lens because it is so inexpensive.

The EF in the lens name indicates Electronic Focus.

At this point you need to visit a camera store.
Not a Circuit City type store, but a camera store.
You don't have to buy anything, you are just looking.
They will have the various lenses and know for sure what works with what. Plus you can get your hands on the camera, which you want to do before you buy.

Here is a link to Canon SLR cameras and lenses

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111

Zoom len prices run the gamut, from just over $100 to over $10,000. Have you seen those large lenses the photographers use on the sidelines of football games.
They are way bigger than the camera they are attached to, and very expensive. Generally, the longer the zoom and the lower the f-stop number - the bigger the price.

Collapse -
by jump1127 / December 1, 2004 11:09 PM PST

I'm not sure whether my reply can be any help to you. But,I'd like to give some personal comment. Actually, Canon produced many types of lenses. Visit the Canon's website and you'll find what they are. It depends on what kind of picture you are taking. For example, Macro lense will be good when you are capturing an object in a very close distance, such as insects and flowers. Supertelephoto ( big zoom lense ) will be good for taking picture from a very far away distance, like animal in a safari or soccer field. But, mostly the appropriate focal length lense is around 20-150 mm. The smaller the focal length, the wider the landscapes. For Canon, L-series lense are very good , considering the contrast and aperture. But, they are very expensive, mostly the lense cost over $ 1000. Any way, the lense will not be very helpful when you did not set the right picture techniques, for instance, right aperture, right shutter speed, dimmer lighting, and incorrect ISO setting.

For what lense to buy, it's hard to tell you exactly. You may read some of the previous comments here about lense for Canon Digital Rebel. Most of replies were very good. For most digital SLR camera, you must not disregard the cropping effect ( multiplier ). You need an extra wider lense ( such as Canon EFS )if you need to take the wide landscaping. But, for zoom, it will be the add-on. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Acts7 / December 5, 2004 2:22 AM PST

Thanks for the advice. Digital retouching and cropping effect is one thing I consider myself an expert at.

Im very concerned about capturing sharp clear images. Ill search the forums for any reccommended books. In the meantime - if you can reccommend any that would be great.

Thanks again.

ps I took your advice snapshot2 and ordered the Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II SLR Lens -52mm- USA
I can t wait to try it! thanks for the advice!

Collapse -
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 5, 2004 10:25 AM PST

I checked a Digital Rebel (drebel) forum and found a thread on the 50mm lens.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=11280978

It starts with someone wondering about soft pictures with that lens.

What some people see as soft is actually a narrow DOF (depth of field) when shooting at f1.8

That is what makes it desirable for photographs of people. Read all the links in the thread because many have sample photographs that clearly show depth of field and how to use it to your advantage.

There are a number of photos taken at high ISO settings (800-1600) which are good examples of the low noise level of the Rebel.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?