Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Question about broadband modem, switch and wireless router

Hi there:
I've got a question to ask about my internet set up. currently, my wireless router is connected to my modem, what I'd like to know is, is it possible to connect my modem to a switch then the wireless router to the switch and still keep everything working? If I connect one computer to the switch through LAN cable and another computer to the wireless router through WiFi, will both computer be able to go onto the internet?
Sorry about the long question, but it's just that the logistics of the rooms and stuff makes things difficult.
Cheers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about broadband modem, switch and wireless router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about broadband modem, switch and wireless router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Question about broadband modem, switch and wireless router

In reply to: Question about broadband modem, switch and wireless router

ive got my wireless belkin going into my pc like you and my wireless goes into my modem also. my wifes pc is upstairs and shes also got a laptop and every thing works fine. i can turn my pc off whenever and internet still works fine. she has got wireless built into both devices though.i dont see no need 4 a switch as the wireless signal comes from the modem then goes through the wireless 2 her computers.you should have no problems mate. heres a link that might help. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

Collapse -
network layout

modem >wireless router > switch-- That's the order. I take it that the wireless router with several ports. Connect your switch to one of the ports in the router. Why would you need a switch anyway. Do you have more than 3 computers you want to hardwire or are you just experimenting?

Collapse -
network layout - one more question

In reply to: network layout

I just wanted to followup with another query.
I am also setting up a network at home and plan to have modem>router>switch. However, is it possible to connect some computers and devices to the router's extra ports and the rest of the home's devices to the router?
This is mainly because of geographical constraints (the router has to be in my office room which has only one drop)\

Many Thanks.

Collapse -
the mailman

This is the wrong layout modem > switch > router. The modem gives you one ipaddress (unless its a combo) and the router is a NAT that essentially subdivides that one number and sends the message to the proper computer which can be wired or wireless (if it's a wireless router). Kind of like a veteran mailman who gets a mail that don't have the address. He knows everyone in town and knows that the mail belong to this house and not that.
The switch cannot translate. It's like a new mailman and knows virtually no one in town. Whatever address he sees on the mail, that where goes to put it, but he would be lost if the address wasn't there. The NAT (router) is a smart device that knows which computer out of 10 computers in your house ask for the message from the internet. The switch is not that smart. He dropped out of college. This is not a technical explanation, but it gives you an idea.

Collapse -
Thank you for the fast reply

In reply to: the mailman

Yea, I thought so. It's just that the Modem is in my room while the router is very far away (the wiring from the modem to the router is inside the wall), I don't want to have a cable going all the way from the router to the computer so was thinking of some way of hooking the computer straight onto the modem without disconnecting the router.
Thanks for the quick reply, guess I'll just have to go with wireless then.

Collapse -
yes we can!

In reply to: Thank you for the fast reply

So the computer is right next to the modem. Just take the router and connect a patch cable (short cable) to it (WAN side) and plug the other end into the modem. Take the long cable from the modem that is in the wall and plug it in one of the port of the router. Take another patch cable and plug one end to your computer and the other to the router. At the end of the long cable in the other room, get a switch and plug in as many computer as you want (limited to the number of ports, of course).

modem > router > 1st port your computer, 2nd port long cable to the other room > switch.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!