Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Question About Archos AV500

by wesmont / January 21, 2006 3:10 AM PST

If anyone has a Archos AV500 DVR, I have a question for you.
Can the TV you record be removed from the Device and placed on your Hard drive? or an you only record onto the device. Also, hows the quality of the recorded TV??

Thanks for any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question About Archos AV500
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question About Archos AV500
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pretty much
by soldier9599 / January 25, 2006 4:49 AM PST

Anything recorded onto your Archos can be transferred onto your computer (this is what I assumed you meant by hard drive), but if it is copy protected it will only be able to be played on your AV500, unless you can somehow circumvent the copy protection.

Collapse -
just to clarify...
by soldier9599 / January 25, 2006 4:51 AM PST

things that are copy protected are like that for everything, its not like its a downside just for the Archos.

Collapse -
Macroblocking boxes
by JonP07 / January 23, 2008 1:11 PM PST
In reply to: just to clarify...

They make devices that you can place inline with the DVR to block out the copy protection so that you can transfer it or record that to a DVD/CD. A good one usually cost as much as this DVR but well worth it.

Collapse -
Archos 500 Recorded videos
by TMT904 / January 29, 2008 12:31 AM PST

In my experience with my 500. Anything I recorded onto my 500 from whatever source was garbage unless I watched it on the unit. I do not recommend recording anything with any Archos for that matter unless you intend to watch it on the Archos. It is VHS quality at best. The DVR capabilities are just not made for archiving of video or playback on TV size screens. Whatever you are able to record onto your 500 can be transferred off to be viewed on your PC, etc. Same thing applies though, it doesn't look like much due to the res.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Collapse -
Its definitively watchable on a TV
by inflammable / February 13, 2008 8:10 AM PST

Actually I find the recordings pretty good for TV watching... It is 640X480 pixels of resolution... and I record it at 1500 kbps... so the files are around 800MB per hour...

On an old TV set the picture you will see is as good as if you were watching broadcast

Not HD but its very watchable on a TV... and you can try for up to 2500 kbps...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.