Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

question about a secure network within my house?

by phattferd / March 26, 2005 12:35 PM PST

My mom's company bought a Linksys WRT54G so she can bring her laptop home and access her company files through a VPN client. When she signs on she has to go through a VPN client. Her IT guy messed with the router before she brought it home where I just set it up...He set it up and when I look at the local network signals from her laptop it shows up that it is secure. I want to know if I get my own laptop, would I be able to access the router or would I need to log into the VPN (which I wouldn't be able to do for her companies safety reasons). If this is the case I am pissed, cause I pay for the DSL and just let my mom share it for work. I want to be able to get my own use out of it. If I did get my own laptop and shared the router, would her IT guy be able to see my download history and things if they ever ask for the router back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: question about a secure network within my house?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: question about a secure network within my house?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask the IT guy again
by Gakada / March 26, 2005 6:29 PM PST
Collapse -
not really
by phattferd / March 27, 2005 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Ask the IT guy again

That post just says my history stays in my cache, but since her business owns the router and they get it back if they ask, is there a history inside the router at all?

Collapse -
If by VPN, all is logged over there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: not really

The VPN puts you in the VPN network. As such, all can be logged at the companies discretion.

Bob

Collapse -
even my personal computer?
by phattferd / March 27, 2005 3:19 AM PST

I dont log into any VPN from my computer the one I am on now. I have the DSL from this location and the router is set up from this computer. My mom when she goes onto her laptop she has to go through the VPN client to log in (her IT guy wants her to for security reasons). If I never use the VPN then I am not in? Is this true. Or does it not matter?

All I do to go online is to click on the Firefox icon, I don't sign into a VPN. Profitt could you clarify this for me. If I am still a part of the VPN then I am pissed because I didn't sign up to have my history shared.

Collapse -
If not by VPN, then it's likely never logged, but then again
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 3:33 AM PST

I have my router use it's SMNP feature to send all IP addressed to my logging program. Who knows if your router was configured to do this?

Bob

Collapse -
Is there a way to find out if this is set up that way?
by phattferd / March 27, 2005 3:50 AM PST

Without messing up anything.

Collapse -
Umm... Read the manual on the router?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 3:55 AM PST

Just FYI. I stop at where you pick up the router manual and read about SMNP and such configuration. That's for you to read about.

And before you say you don't have the manual. It's online at the maker's website.

No fish. Just fishing lessons.

Bob

Collapse -
I didn't see anything about SMNP in their manual
by phattferd / March 27, 2005 1:45 PM PST

I read it online in the PDF file and saw it nowhere. I just looed at my Local Area Connection in the control panel and it has a lock next to it. I was wondering if I bought a laptop (been thinking about it) would I be able to access it if they have it locked. I am starting to get mad if they are using my DSL and blocking it out. I pay for the damn thing.

Collapse -
Proffit I might have found something usefull
by phattferd / March 27, 2005 3:32 PM PST

I went to my network connections.

I then clicked on the "advanced" tab at the top. Then clicked on "optional networking components."

Then when I highlight the "management & monitoring tools" I clicked on "details." (the only thing with a check mark on here is the networking services)

I then see two options titled, "Simple Network Management Protocall" and "WMI SNMP Provider." Neither of these have a check in the box next to them.

Would this mean its not set up for SNMP, or is that just from my computer and they can view it from theirs?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.