Computer Help forum

General discussion

Question about a new computer we purchased

Anyway we are getting the computer tomorrow, it's already paid for however we just haven't picked it up. The link before I posted the other day is not available anymore and that didn't have a very good desciption so http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-a6500f-Desktop-PC/sem/rpsm/oid/213659/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do#CustomerRatings a much better description I think.

The thing I don't understand is how can the video memory be partially shared? Wouldn't you have a graphics card or not have a graphics card so it be shared from the memory? I really need some help on this, I am really confused now.

Thank you.

Michelle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Question about a new computer we purchased
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Question about a new computer we purchased
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short.

In reply to: Question about a new computer we purchased

You might need a primer course in computer design but the short version is that some cards have a small amount of dedicated video ram and for more the design uses the computer's main memory. Not that this is a deep explanation but it is one.
Bob

Collapse -
Your reply was good enogh

In reply to: In short.

I understand what you mean. I think this computer that I am getting has 128 mb of memory that isn't shared and the rest of it is. I guess you are saying just because it is an onboard graphics card does not mean it doesn't have installed memory of it's own, I guess it is just a matter of where the graphics card is placed. I guess if it is placed on the motherboard than that is what makes it onboard.

I never knew that onboard graphics cards can have memory of their own.

I am really worried about frying the motherboard playing the Sims 2 being that this is only an onboard graphics card.

Thank you for your help Bob you have been very helpful.

Michelle

Collapse -
That shouldn't cause any "fry"

In reply to: Your reply was good enogh

If so, then one could fry machine after machine and no one would be buying laptops...

Sorry for the real short explanation but to go much deeper we end up with a course in computer design.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you for the response

In reply to: That shouldn't cause any "fry"

I just don't want to touch the inside of the computer and no one else in my house wants to either, lol. Though I did get the new computer today and it runs really good and I loaded the Sims 2 up and all expansion packs and it loads very fast, a lot faster than my old computer would load it. This computer runs very nicely for the price and this graphic card is not that bad and the game loads much faster.
It really was worth the money.

Thank you for all your help, you made me feel much better about using the onboard graphics card with the Sims 2 and all expansion packs but the Freetime. Thank you and have a very nice week.

Michelle

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.