General discussion

Question About 3D TVs

I searched the forums but couldn't find any info about this, so I do apologize if this question has been asked before.

I was just wondering what the deal was with these new 3D TVs coming out. They're pretty expensive but I just don't get it. What's so different from these 3D TVs and non 3D TVs? Hasn't 3D been out since the 1950s? 3D Movies have been out for decades. As long as the video is being transmitted in 3D, does it really matter if you do or don't have a 3D TV? Am I missing something here? Do 3D TVs make EVERYTHING 3D even if they aren't transmitted in 3D? Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Question About 3D TVs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Question About 3D TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
True, 3D been here for a long time, but...

the method to produce and to view the video is different; hence the expense. Is it worth the cost? I don't think so (not the Samsung method anyway). But someone here says the 3D plasma is pretty impressive though (I have not seen it yet). So see for yourself and decide for yourself to see it it's worth it or not.

- Collapse -
3d

If you are asking about 3D, I assume you did not see Avatar. Today's 3D is way different from anything from the past. 3D TVs have circuits in them that separate the scan rate in half, and when used with 3D glasses, half of the scan rate syncs to the left eye and the other half syncs to the right eye. Today's 3D looks really good, but I agree with ahtoi that it's not worth it...yet. No two companies methods are compatible so neither are their 3D glasses.

CNET Forums

Forum Info