General discussion

question about 1080i and 720p

I have an old Sharp Aquos LC-45GD6U which was the one of the first 1080p TVs sold in the USA. I also just bought a new 32" Sony LCD which is 1080p. They are both connected to Time Warner Cable. Whenever I turn on a channel both sets indicate either 480i for a non-HD program or 720p or 1080i for HD broadcasts.

My question is why for the exact same program being broadcast on the same channel over the same cable system, one TV set will indicate 720p while the other one will indicate 1080i? For example right now channel 765 (NatGeoHD) indicates 720p on the Sharp Aquos set and 1080i on the Sony set.

Anyone know why this is?

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: question about 1080i and 720p
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: question about 1080i and 720p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Two TVs, different resolution

Do you have both TVs connected to different cable boxes? If so, have you tried connecting the Sharp to the same cable box the Sony is connected to? If the Sharp also says 1080i on that box, then it must be a setting on the Sony. If you would have given the model of the Sony then someone could download the user manual and help you. But regardless of the user manual, I have 4 1080p TVs and none of them have setting to choose the resolution. When all of them are connected to cable boxes, they all say 720p on stations that broadcast 720p and they say 1080i on those stations.

- Collapse -
I maybe wrong here, but...

I believe 720p or 1080i is set by the TV. Take a look at the tv setup to see if that's true or not. If you are watch fast motion sporting events such as car racing, you want to use 720p vs. 1080i; otherwise you probably won't notice a difference.

- Collapse -
TV is either built

to de-interlace or not. Try other channels with 1080i and see if the Sharp still shows 720p.

CNET Forums

Forum Info