Cameras forum

General discussion

Query re: original and new camera software/upgrade

When I bought my digital camera a little over 4 years ago, I loved the software. When the program quit working properly about a year ago, I contacted the manufacturer, was told I needed new drivers, and linked me to the download page. With the dowmload came an upgrade of the software, which I do not like nearly as much as the original...

I tried a couple of clean uninstalls of the new, then re-installs of the old, but the old did not work. I do not understand why.

My son has exactly the same make and model# PC (WMe) as mine, and his "old" worked fine. He just bought a new PC running XP, installed the software, and it works beautifully.

I am presently in the market for a new machine. I would love to use my old camera software. Apparently it will work if I opt for XP.

But still puzzed why it doesn't work on my present PC.

Pentium III
80 GB HD
512MB SDRAM
IE Explorer 6.xxx
Norton Internet Security 2004
8x/4x/32 CD-RW
48x Max Variable CD ROM
Soundblaster 64v PCI card
Cable modem
My operating system:
WindowsMe

Thank you.

Angeline

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Query re: original and new camera software/upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Query re: original and new camera software/upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital Camera Software

In reply to: Query re: original and new camera software/upgrade

Hi Angeline

You forgot to give us one little piece of information:

The camera manufacturer.

If you happen to be referring to Kodak, there are a lot of people scratching their heads over their software.

The last time I looked at one of their updates, it had a list of things to remove from your system. Leftover junk from previous versions.

That is scary....

If you are referring to Kodak, I suggest you get yourself a card reader and forget about Kodak software. You only need their software to download photos. A card reader can do that... quick and simple.

If you are referring to a different camera manufacture, let us know who it is.
Don't keep us in suspenders.

Collapse -
You are correct!

In reply to: Digital Camera Software

I hesitated identifying the product (Kodak EastShare 3600 Zoom - and I've got the dock), because I don't like mentioning unfavorable stuff when the culprit could be me! Happy

It is heartening to know others have complained. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from them saying there was another update. I passed!

Thanks to you I know that the camera will work on whatever new machine I buy, PC or Mac. I had no idea what the software does. I willl opt for the media card reader, for sure! Then I can store my photos how I prefer!

Thanks, Joe!

Angeline

Collapse -
The original install probably didn't completely uninstall,

In reply to: Query re: original and new camera software/upgrade

and the new one may also have failed to completely remove itself. You might have to do a fresh Windows install to get it working again. That means wiping out all your programs, and starting from scratch. It's probably not worth that.

Collapse -
You are also correect.

In reply to: The original install probably didn't completely uninstall,

A Windows re-install was done last year. So, no, that will not be repeated! Happy

I'm feeling much better now after "tallking" with you guys!

Thanks, KP!

Angeline

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.