...I'd have a hard time believing you're going to have much success. This is why most of us use 3rd party backup/restore software. Personally I use the free Easeus Todo Backup Free but there are hundreds of such programs. With that you can make a disc you can boot from and do the restore. However be aware that you can't restore a Windows system image and expect it to work on anything other than a system with the same motherboard.
I have windows 7 professional c drive image backup and its repair disk from an old laptop. These are some queries about restoring that in a new computer planning to buy.
1) What is required to restore that old image backup into a new computer? (only image backup / repair disk / anything else)
2) Do i need to restore c drive image backup into a blank hard disk or hard disk having any version of windows 7 installed?
3) Can windows 7 professional image backup restored into computer having windows 7 starter/ home basic? If yes, then what happens to existing OS of new computer will that be overwritten?
4) Can windows 7 professional image backup restored into computer having windows 8?
5) Will all programs and drivers installed in old computer's c drive restored into new computer after restoring?
Looking forward your reply. Thank you.