Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Quality Video Capture/Editing

by dleskie / June 2, 2005 2:39 PM PDT

I currently have a Pentium 3 - 500 MHz with an ATI All In Wonder (32mb ?). The capture from the TV cable is choppy at high resolution (I'm pretty sure it's from the capture, not the playback).
I am upgrading to a Dell computer 3.0 GHz and am wondering if the new All In Wonder cards are the way to go. A quick search of this forum suggests using an external capture device with USB 2.0.
Should I just get a cheap video card with the Dell and get an external capture device, or should I upgrade the Dell card? Will an external capture device have a TV tuner or would I have to buy a seperate card for that? Will this allow me to capture from VHS and TV without the choppiness I have now? Sorry for all the questions, any help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quality Video Capture/Editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quality Video Capture/Editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Analog video is... not quality.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

This is the first complaint from those just diving into this area. NTSC or PAL is all of 480 lines or less and the first scream is not unlike your post.

The P3-500 is a little on the low end for analog capture which would stress most to tweak it to work. I'll just say it shouldn't work for most and be choppy.

Bob

Collapse -
I had the same configuration 5 years ago
by jamie.p.walsh / June 2, 2005 10:29 PM PDT

when I bought my second PC. P3-450 with All in Wonder (1st generation), it was a 32MB card.

Video captured to it WAS choppy.

The problem, as I was told, was at the video card level, which is the first place the process can bottleneck. It wasn't able to process enough to get you near the 30 fps at any decent resolution. I tweaked the settings to lower the color depth and resolution. It looked so back it wasn't worth it.

If you do upgrade the video card, be aware that once you overcome this obstacle, the next problem you'll find may be memory and the front side bus of that chip, which is probably only 100-133MHz MAX. Then the hard drive buffer if the one that's in there even has one.

The only way the process will run smoothly on the PC you've got is to produce a capture that looks like this quality mms://wm.wmg.com/atlrec/stone_temple_pilots/wm/vid/live/10042002/Down56.wmv

which is a disappointment by today's standards.

Collapse -
Firewire
by timwerx / June 2, 2005 10:24 PM PDT

There are other options and opinions, but I have read that ''firewire'' (IEEE-1394) is the most optimized connection for video, and beats USB 2. Now I cannot find that article but can find others that say ''it's a tie.''
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/firewirevsusb.html

I use firewire, and it has always given me smooth and flawless video capture.

I would guess that your present CPU is causing the choppiness. 500 MHz is right on the fringe for videowork.

Once you get your new machine I'm sure that any decent capture device will work with it, be it USB 2 or firewire. You'll have plenty of speed for video. Just make sure you'll also have plenty of room for it. If you want to capture analog/VHS and/or want something with a TV tuner, just make sure it does it before you buy.

Collapse -
One More Point
by timwerx / June 2, 2005 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Firewire

If you do want to capture VHS/analog, make sure you capture to uncompressed DV (DV-AVI) for the best quality and easiest-to-edit video.

Collapse -
Quality Video Capture/Editing
by jcrobso / June 3, 2005 1:14 AM PDT

I like to use seprate video and capture cars, USB or PCI.
Does the Dell your getting have onboard video?? A lot of them do.
If so get a stand alone capture/TV tuner card.
There are a lot of them out there From $50 to the ATI HDTV wonder for $150. If you live in an area with a lot of HDTV sations this might be a good chioce.
As others have said if your capturing video from DV camera the best way is to use firewire, since it was developed specifictly for video. John

Collapse -
The choppiness is because your machine is too slow.
by Kiddpeat / June 3, 2005 1:20 AM PDT

As for capture on a new machine, if an external device is used, firewire is better than USB.

Try looking at a Hauppauge capture card which may work better than an AIW card.

Collapse -
PS: One key reason for the choppiness is that the CPU is
by Kiddpeat / June 3, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

being used to encode the video. The Hauppauge cards have hardware encoders. You should not get a card which lacks the hardware encoder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.