Phones forum

General discussion

Quality of mp3 is on PDA

by Jeong / February 24, 2005 4:43 AM PST

I am looking onto buying PDA with mp3 player
None of the specs does not tell me how good the quality of the music the PDAs play
I was wondering how good it will be playing mp3s on PDAs compare to iPod and such mp3 devices

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quality of mp3 is on PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quality of mp3 is on PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No quality.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 6:15 AM PST

Here's why. MP3 encoding purposely discards audio information to achieve its compression. As such, there is no quality to the performance.

Bob

Collapse -
I wouldn't say mp3 has "No Quality".
by stich / February 24, 2005 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: No quality.

That's like saying 2% milk is not milk.

Sheesh.

mp3s sound great! Don't listen to that rubbish.

Stich

Collapse -
At what point do we call it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2005 10:20 AM PST

If I attach any MP3 player to the home stereo and listen to the MP3, then playback the original CD the "quality" is readily apparent between the two.

Just like 2% milk and whole milk, there is a difference.

It's not rubbish.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: At what point do we call it?
by stich / February 25, 2005 12:29 PM PST

Ok Bob, right on... NOT!

I think most conosuers of audio already know the neglible differnce between full 16 bit /44Khz CD audio & mp3's by now & the general consensus is that There's not enough difference to sweat over it.

And what are you going to tell us next... that 20 million artists, recording professionals, & iPod users are wrong too.

Your talking out your Wahoo.

Stich

Collapse -
It's much like art.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 6:23 AM PST

I asked at what point do we call it "quality".

Instead you seem to disregard the loss of the audio content as not important. For you, the compressed audio is just fine and I agree that for mobile audio with the noise of the world around you, you might tell the difference, but the "quality" is definitely degraded.

Bob

Collapse -
not answering the question
by keybordp / February 26, 2005 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: It's much like art.

the question was not about how mp3s are or sound or their quality. He was asking how pdas do playing them.
I'm interested in knowing the same thing. DO PDAs play back mp3s as good as pcs or a regular mp3 player.

Collapse -
DO PDAs play back mp3s as good as pcs or regular mp3 player
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2005 11:20 PM PST

"DO PDAs play back mp3s as good as pcs or a regular mp3 player."

That's a simpler question. I've had a few such PDAs (Zire 71 and others) and the MP3 playback is not unlike what you hear from your PC or iPod.

Bob

Collapse -
that's the question I want to know
by Jeong / February 28, 2005 3:28 AM PST

I did not want to know diff. in mp3 and cd
I just want to know, playback diffrence between iPOD and PDA mp3 play back. thank you

Collapse -
It's all in the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 3:52 AM PST

Your question didn't ask such. As such I replied to your question and can't guess you meant something else.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Huh????
by stich / February 28, 2005 6:16 AM PST

Did you even bother to read the original question before you jumped up on your mp3 bashing soap box Bob???

"I am looking onto buying PDA with mp3 player
None of the specs does not tell me how good the quality of the music the PDAs play
I was wondering how good it will be playing mp3s on PDAs compare to iPod and such mp3 devices"

Posted by: Jeong Posted on: 02/24/2005 12:43 PM
"

Collapse -
The question was in the title.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2005 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Huh????

Should we ignore that?

Bob

Collapse -
Yes pdas play are good mp3 players
by tenkof / March 5, 2005 12:20 PM PST

I say so based on my pda, sony clie nx60. the sound quality is simply awesome. however, it doesn't have enough memory. you may need to have a memory stick with a large memory.

Collapse -
MP3 Rubbish?
by mag90 / February 27, 2005 9:37 AM PST

But for me, I figured the main reason for MP3s is the portability. For some it might be compressing several CDs (which you own rightfully ; ) onto one CD-ROM, or being able to email yourself a song, not to hook to a home stereo system. But I wouldn't imagine that in regard to a PDA that the MP3's quality would be the top priority, given a song/file is audible. I've seen a few people with high-end Bose headsets attached to their MP3 players, but for the most part, the quality of the MP3 playback would probably be limited by the $25 headphones themselves.

To save space, I rip/save/convert my favorite songs at 96bpm and have put the same song "recorded" at 160bpm and not noticed which is which - of course on a little Sony Clie with those $25 earbud headphones. But with a 128M memory stick, I get 40-45 songs. It's not an iPod, but it's a lot more portable, not having to have an MP3 player and PDA. Now to get a phone added to that mix...

Collapse -
my experiences mp3 players vs pda
by max-9 / March 11, 2005 11:07 AM PST

I have the archos av320 /the ipod 4th gen 20 gig/ and the rio carbon. Of those the archos has the best sound.
Now compare that archos to my palm zire 72 s . After installing aeroplayer on the zire the sound quality and volume levels are better on the palmone zire pda...much better. Storage space is less on the pda but you can buy sd cards to expand storage.I currently use a 1 gig sdcard ($99)not as much storage as the hard drive mp3 players but theres no moving parts on sd cards and they are lifetime waranteed.

Collapse -
Probably based more on the headphones you are using.
by elvisfan / March 25, 2005 6:04 AM PST

The headphones probably make more of a difference then the device. The advantage of the PDA is that you can check your calendar or play a game, while you listen to MP3s.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?