PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Quad core overheating (PC Shut Down)

by 45king / August 18, 2008 10:04 PM PDT

Hi,

My pc keeps shutting down when I play computer games or I am doing something demanding.

I've noticed my my quad core is running at a high temp, my core 1 averages 80c when just running & when I play a game or something it can raise to 125c

System info:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)
Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
Memory: 3326MB RAM
Page File: 652MB used, 4557MB available

I have a Tagen 1100watt power supply & I have 2 fans, 1 at the back and a thermaltake fan "cooling" the CPU.

I noticed the fan is only running at 60%

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Quad core overheating (PC Shut Down)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Quad core overheating (PC Shut Down)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2008 10:14 PM PDT

The maker needs to correct the issue.

You didn't tell the make and model but it might be a home built unit. The last time I encounter this they had overclocked the unit as well as forgot the heat sink compound. They felt it was optional.
Bob

Collapse -
:re
by 45king / August 18, 2008 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Call it in.

It was a custom built pc, I've had it for about 14 months but this has only started happening for the last 2 months or so.

Collapse -
Time to recheck your work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2008 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: :re

The reasons are not in your post or reply. You should rebuild the machine taking extra care when it comes to the heatsink compound, fans and ventilation.

Collapse -
re:
by 45king / August 18, 2008 10:37 PM PDT

I did'nt build the machine myself it was done buy the people at the custom pc site I bought it from.

Is there a way to increase the cpu fan manually myself, its only running at 60%

Collapse -
I'll write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2008 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: re:

If the heatsink compound needs touchup, then no fan setting will help here. Since it's a trivial item to take care of why would we do anything else but tackle the issue head on?

For now, leave the side cover off the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Fixed :D
by 45king / August 19, 2008 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll write no.

I disconnected the fan to check if the thermo gel was still wet & there was no prob's there but the back grill of the fan was covered in a think layer of dust, after a good clean the levels have dropped by 20c.

Thanks for the replys )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?