HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

quad core or core duo for gaming?

by bigmikd / January 27, 2008 9:16 AM PST

would a quad core 2.66 ghz cpu with 1066 fsb beat a duo core 3.0 ghz cpu at 1333 fsb? would i have to run 64 bit vista? is 64x required to maximize memory usage as evga board only goes to 4x1gig memory at 32 bit/4x2gig at 64x

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: quad core or core duo for gaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: quad core or core duo for gaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The 64 bit windows is "a wasteland"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 9:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Be aware, today's games use more than one core.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 9:43 AM PST

You may find those that haven't played those newer games like Bioshock, Crysis so when you read the games are not using the dual cores keep reading and don't debate it with them.

Bob

Collapse -
overclocking cpu
by bigmikd / January 27, 2008 10:34 AM PST

great article! i think that for gaming, i will go with the 6850 cpu dual core o/c to ~ 3.7 gig, vista 32 bit. should i go with ultimate or the cheaper version? and as much ram as i can afford.

Collapse -
For gaming, any version will do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 10:40 AM PST
In reply to: overclocking cpu

It's just the host...

Collapse -
No and No
by At The Opera / January 27, 2008 9:35 AM PST

Maybe at some point down the line, when more games are written to be aware of more than one core, but that's a couple of years down the line minimum, so for a system you're building today, there's no real point in spending more money on a quad core chip.

Also, the trend has been to make more and more use of the processing power in the GPU and rely less on the CPU. So it's probably not worth getting a top of the range CPU anymore for gaming, when the GPU is going to be shouldering an increasing amount of the burden.

Collapse -
duo core for my games ok
by bigmikd / January 27, 2008 10:38 AM PST
In reply to: No and No

im a bigtime c&c, and star craft gamer, i do a good deal of music editing aswell. i think that the quad core is overkill for me at this time. i can get a 3g cpu for same/less than the 2.4 quad and ill go with 8800gtx vid cards, just one at a time for now.

Collapse -
by juclark50 / January 28, 2008 1:57 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.