Laptops forum

General discussion

Qosmio F55 (F50) or Dell XPS M1530??Plz help

I was about to buy Dell XPS M1530 but i found that a new qosmio has been released
http://explore.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/F50/F55-Q5023
It's specification is much better than that of the dell and it is much much lower in price.
My problem is that why there is that much difference in price?? The qosmio is about $1750 and the dell with max specifications (lower than the qosmio) is about $2400 with $700 off that's mean it is $3100!!!
Does the difference in price means Xps is better?
Also it is much lower in price than the Satellite X200 while the difference is only the 2 inches in screen and qosmio is better in other specifications!!!!
I want a laptop that doesnot overheat while playing games.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Qosmio F55 (F50) or Dell XPS M1530??Plz help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Qosmio F55 (F50) or Dell XPS M1530??Plz help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you want the laptop for?

In reply to: Qosmio F55 (F50) or Dell XPS M1530??Plz help

Hey.. Well, I was (or am) in the same situation. But let me tell you something, it all depends of how are you going to use the laptop. Lets make a little review.

Dell is good, very very good, they do their job and they last long IF you are soft with the equipment, because they are too delicated. They are expensive because the warranties and services and recycle thing and all that things they put. And there you go, like 3000$. I wanted the XPS M1730 and its about 3400$ plus import taxes (I live in Venezuela), etc.

Now, the Toshiba. Toshiba's laptops are known like true warrior horses, like HP, and as you can see, a little "cheap". They also are pretty good and have a nice performance like Dell. And they arent that delicated.

So, I went for the Toshiba F55 because it has the same specs than Dell M1530 (or 1730) and its alot cheaper. Unless you want to expent that money (which you can use in some other stuff) I suggest you go for the Toshiba too. Its pretty and looks powerful.

Well, its my opinion, I hope it helps a little. Now its time for you to choose.

Collapse -
Thanks (i have a small question)

In reply to: What do you want the laptop for?

Thank you so much. Does the F55 overheat? I always have an overheat issue with toshiba. I'll probably play games like world of warcraft and strategy games. (Will it perform good in gaming?)

Collapse -
Let me be bearish.

In reply to: Thanks (i have a small question)

All laptops now overheat when gaming. Unless your game is 15 minutes long I want to see them on a laptop cooling pad.
Bob

Collapse -
Mm

In reply to: Let me be bearish.

Well, like Drak00 said, all laptops overheat at some point, especially when your playing because the video card. It exists fan coolers for laptops and all that stuff. You have to look for it. Happy

And about the good perfomance, well I dont have it yet but according to the spec it should be good enough for now to play games. A 9700 GT NVIDIA is pretty good, with 4gb of ram and a 2.53Ghz processor should fly. But again, we have to test it and we'll see the real capacity of the equipment Happy

Collapse -
Thank you again

In reply to: Mm

Hope to hear from you when you try it Happy

Collapse -
Thank you :)

In reply to: Let me be bearish.

I read about cooling pads. Some said they are useless, did you try them?
When i play wow now on my cuurent laptop with ATI x1600 an 1.86ghz the framrate could drop to 0-5 in populated area mostly when it is hot.
Ireally consider buying a desktop instead, or the cooling pad can do it?

Collapse -
Yes I did more than try them.

In reply to: Thank you :)

We have a few on the machines that act as data collection units (24x7 operation.)
Bob

Collapse -
Well..

In reply to: Thank you :)

I really havent tried a cooling pad or those fan basements for laptops.. So I cant help you there. Just remember desktop also overheat, only you can use fan coolers to get the hot air out of the case (never take air inside the case cause it will condense and rain in there LOL).

My advice anyway is think in what are use are you going to give to the computer. If you need it something to move around from one place to another buy the laptop. If you dont need to move it, go for the pc. The thing is what do you really want so you can expent your money wisely and then be proud of it Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.