PC Applications forum

General discussion

QBasic for Windows?

by Bulbasaurus Rex / July 21, 2006 8:17 AM PDT

Is there any way to download a version of QBasic for Windows for free? I don't want Visual Basic. I want something that will be compatible with directly transfered code from the DOS version of QBasic but will work on Windows XP without needing to use DOSBox. I've found something online called Liberty Basic, but it's shareware and only offers a free trial version.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: QBasic for Windows?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: QBasic for Windows?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: basic
by Kees Bakker / July 22, 2006 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: QBasic for Windows?

If your evaluation of the free trial version is positive, why not buy that shareware version?

And what happens if you use QBasic yourself (as programmer) in a DOS-box, but compile to an exe (see http://qbnz.com/pages/faq/ ), then run the exe by doubleclicking in Explorer or via a pif-file. Those 2 methods will implicitely make a DOS-box, of course, but well, the program has to run in some window and that can't be a Windows window, so it has to be a DOS-window. But nobody will mind, because, in fact, it IS a DOS-program, not a program with a GUI (like you make with Visual Basic). And that seems to be what you want.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
$59. for a shareware program!
by goedel1 / December 8, 2011 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Re: basic

Liberty Basic's ad say $59. in one line and $49. in another. Assuming it is "reduced" to $49., I do not find that an inviting price for shareware. I don't see where the sharing is!

Collapse -
Just wondering
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 7:41 PM PST

how much it would have cost in 2006. After all, that is the date of the post you are replying to.

And about shareware. It's not freeware as freeware is free. Shareware can also be free but the author will often say if you like, you can purchase it. After all, he wrote it.

Mark

Collapse -
Shareware
by goedel1 / December 8, 2011 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Just wondering

I thought the idea of shareware was free except for sharing some of the author's expenses in offering it. The idea, originally, was to share rather than to market a product - or so I may have been misled to believe.

Collapse -
Isn't that up to the author?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 9, 2011 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Shareware

And of course, we can always vote with our wallets and purses. We either purchase the shareware software or we don't.

Mark

Collapse -
There are a lot of good alternatives to QBasic
by jimc52 / July 12, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

There are some very good alternatives to QBasic. Just Basic (JB) is a freebee download. Go here to learn more:

http://justbasic.conforums.com/index.cgi

This is a downsized basic interpreter from another program called
Liberty Basic

http://www.libertybasic.com

There is also XBasic

http://www.xbasic.org/

You can also find a lot of other links to free basic software at:

http://www.thefreecountry.com/

http://www.freebasic.net/

http://www.freebyte.com/programming/

I think, after you download and take a look at a few of these, you are going to find something satisfactory and to your liking. You should GOOGLE for more leads...there are just too many out there to try out to list them all.

QBasic is a long dead software, unfortunately! A lot of basic programmers have gone on to use some of these other programs or have even written them themselves. Freebasic, for example, is a compiler itself and can compile in a console like in the old days.

I still have my copy of QBasic, but its on an old OLD 5-1/4" floppy, and unfortunately they don't make 5-1/4 drives any longer! So even I can't use it. Microsoft pretty much killed QBasic, which I think is a tragedy...because they want people to work GUI wise, in a window and not at a DOS level.

Hope this helps you.

Collapse -
(NT) Why reply to a year-old question?
by John.Wilkinson / July 12, 2007 6:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
THANK YOU for the reply to the year-old question!! :)
by featureStrainer / July 30, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

The GREAT info above actually helped me a lot... 'cuz I'm just looking for an answer to this same question: on July 30, 2007!

So, I'm glad the person responded- even though the initial inquiry was a year old...

Often, as I websearch for stuff, I find refs to old questions like this one, and the answer helps me, even years later...

So, old questions never really die- they just get asked again by someone else Happy

Just an encouragement to those who post answers!!!

Collapse -
THANK YOU for the reply to the year-old question!! :)
by featureStrainer / July 30, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

The GREAT info you gave on QBASIC for Windows actually helped me a lot... even though the original questioner was back in 2006... So, THANKS!! HappyHappyHappy

Collapse -
No Problem
by jimc52 / August 11, 2007 6:53 PM PDT

I am really late in getting back here to read your thank you...several weeks, in fact. No problem, I like helping people find the free stuff on the net...another one you might want to try out is FreeBasic. Just look it up. Also, if you are interested, in learning a little bit more sophisticated language, look up Pelles C Compiler. It's free and has a really cool RAD. Best of luck to you.

Collapse -
(NT) THANKS, JIM!!
by featureStrainer / August 15, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: No Problem
Collapse -
Unlikely. But here's a place to check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 10:06 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?