TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Qam tuner Options

by Bosscrow / July 17, 2007 5:33 AM PDT

I have a 40" LCD tv hooked up to standard NTSC cable. My friend has a 55" LCD Projection tv hooked up to the same NTSC cable. When I do a channel search I am only able to view the normal channels that are available to any standard television set. When my friend does a channel search he is able to bring in some 20 music channels and about 10 HD channels. We both have the same cable television service and the same rate plan. I am thinking that the reason he can get these channels is because he has a QAM tuner built into his television.

My questions is, is there any way I can get those channels on my tv?
When I search on ebay I see many QAM boxes. Could I use one of these to pull in the extra channels?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Qam tuner Options
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Qam tuner Options
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
QAM tuner built into his television.
by jcrobso / July 17, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Qam tuner Options

QAM tuners also require an activation card form the cable company, the two together equal a digital cable box than is built into the HDTV.
If you get a cable box from the cable company then you will get the extra channels. John

Collapse -
$$
by Bosscrow / July 17, 2007 5:48 AM PDT

Wont that cost money? If nothing less it will cost the 3 dollars a month for the box rental. Is it possible to get a cable box off ebay that will work?

Collapse -
MR. BOSS YOUR FRIEND PROBABBLY HAS THE HI-DEF PACKAGE
by stewart norrie / July 17, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Qam tuner Options

But before you upgrade your cable system, check out dish network service You can order there basic package then add there hi-def service for only $10.00 extra per month You will receive 20 hi-def channels + all your network hidef channels + tons of c.d. music channels free There 211 system is for one hi-def t.v. they also have a vip222 system that I just had installed the box feeds my main home theater system plus a second anolog t.v. in my bedroom and in the bedroom no box is needed just the remote control. Just make sure you use a h.d.m.i. cable from box to t.v. and if you have a sweet 5.1 audio system run optical cable from box to a/v/ amp you will love that set up steweee

Collapse -
I know for a fact that we have the same cable package,
by Bosscrow / July 17, 2007 6:20 AM PDT

My friend is not the only person I know that can get these channels for free. I want to know if there is anything I can get that will enable me to watch these channels the same as my friend. Short of buying a new tv.
I am really wanting to know if I can use some type of set top hd tuner box to pull in these channels. Something I do not have to get from my cable company and get charged a monthly rental fee for.

Collapse -
Trying to keep it on page one
by Bosscrow / July 17, 2007 11:00 PM PDT

I wanted to add a reply so that my thread would stay on the first page and attract the most attention.

Collapse -
I think you got your answer
by HTHMAN / July 18, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

Bring your friend's TV to your house and hook up your cable and see what you get.

The only way you get programming from the cable company is to pay for it. No programming + no equipment = no channels.

Collapse -
Been Done,
by Bosscrow / July 19, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

I have already tried that, Some how his TV is able to decode the channels with out any external equipment. I have asked around here and find that it is quite common. I would love to know how ane why my tv cannot do it. Thanks

Collapse -
Setup
by HTHMAN / July 19, 2007 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Been Done,

Check the setup menu on your TV. Make sure you are set for Cable rather than Antenna inputs.

Collapse -
Good Idea,
by Bosscrow / July 19, 2007 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Setup

But I tried that, I have went all through the menu on my tv. I saw nothing. Could it be because I do not have a QAM tuner?

Collapse -
Call your cable provider
by HTHMAN / July 19, 2007 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Idea,

Have them bring in a cable box and set it up. To get all the stations you need either a cable box or a QAM tuner built in your set plus a cable card from your provider.

Collapse -
Yea I am sure that would work,
by Bosscrow / July 19, 2007 10:48 PM PDT

My friends tv has a cable card slot which is empty. He is still able to get the channels. Oh well I guess next time I buy a tv I need to make sure it has a QAM tuner.

Collapse -
QAM tuner
by bubbalooey / October 2, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

I've got two Televisions, one a older HD Sony the other a Vizio 42 with a QAM tuner. I've got cable, when I scan with the ViZio i have more channels HD plus music channels. With the Sony it does not have the QAM tuner and does not pick them up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?