General discussion

Q831167.exe won't install

I ocassionally have to access a secure VA web site and have no problem logging in. However, one particular page that should be accessable by just clicking on a link instead opens a page that says I must first log in. This same page shows that I am logged in.

I contacted their tech support and was informed that I need to download and install Q831167.exe but every time I attemp to install it I get a warning that
"This update requires Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 to be installed."

However IE 6.0 SP1 is installed.

I've never experienced this problem with any other secure site. Been researching the problem a couple days until I'm dizzy from going in circles. According to MS Q831167.exe quals for support as it repairs some other udpate and they were supposed to get back to me Monday, but nothing.

Really don't want to DL/Install/learn another browser not knowing if it would even help for this one problem. So I'm hoping someone out there in cyber land can help me fix this.

I'm using IE6.0 SP1 and Windows ME.

Thanks Have a great day.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Q831167.exe won't install
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Q831167.exe won't install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RE:

1. You may not be able to log on to a Web site or complete an Internet transaction after you install the 832894 (MS04-004) security update. For example, when you submit your user name and password to an SSL-secured Web site by using a form on a HTTPS Web page, you may receive an HTTP 500 (Internal Server Error) Web page. This problem may occur after you apply the 832894 security update (MS04-004) or the 821814 hotfix on a computer that runs WinXP, W2K, ME, or Win9x, [Q831167].

2. Please read through this forum "thread."

- Collapse -
Cursorcowboy

Thanks for the link.

Seems like a lot of good info. Lingo a bit (or much) too stiff for my literacy (or lack there of). Guess I'll have to try another browser any way or let it go.

If you happen to know of something in super-laymans terms I'd appreciate a heads-up.

Have a great day.

CNET Forums

Forum Info