HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

PV-GS250 $ now that PV-GS300's are here...

by altos / January 30, 2006 8:24 AM PST

On line retailers will temporarily stick it to customers for early PV-GS300's. MSRP is $699.

Once the initial, brief enthusiasm with the 300 is over, is there any reason to buy a PV-GS250 ? It seems like retailers are going to take a BIG hit if they hold any PV-GS250 inventory as the 300 undercuts it by $200. I doubt retailers can discount the PV-GS250 enough to make it a compelling buy. I would buy a 250 at a decent price but it seems like waiting a month for 300 pricing to settle out makes more sense as it will be newer and cheaper.

Thoughts ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PV-GS250 $ now that PV-GS300's are here...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PV-GS250 $ now that PV-GS300's are here...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same camera
by drhiberd / January 30, 2006 2:11 PM PST

There is really isn't much difference between the two.
Last time I saw a GS250 online it was $750. Why would you wait for the GS300? It's not a better camera, it's pretty much the same camera.
I doubt if the price is going to come down anymore on the GS250. Places will have less and less in stock making it harder for people to find.

Collapse -
Same camera but (in theory) much lower price.... in theory..
by altos / January 31, 2006 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Same camera

That's my point. Same camera only the PV-GS250 typically runs $75-250 more than the MSRP of the new 300 camera. In the short run, retailers have run the price of the new PV-GS300 up an incremental $200, in some cases, over the MSRP. The only thing I can figure is that they have old inventory at the higher cost and don't want to get stuck with it.

Collapse -
Prices
by drhiberd / January 31, 2006 9:58 AM PST

I can't imagine paying more than the MSRP. Sony hasn't even come out with their new cams yet, but B & H has their prices set at the MSRP.
If you do think that the GS300 will start out at $900, get a GS250.
Like I said, pretty much the same camera. My bet is they will be pretty much at the same price too.

Collapse -
That's the oddity...
by altos / January 31, 2006 11:35 AM PST
In reply to: Prices

Regarding the PV-GS300 at the CES show in Las Vegas

"This year's line offers the advantages of 3CCD technology starting with a suggested retail price of $699.95," said Rudy Vitti, national marketing manager, Panasonic Optical Group.

Collapse -
Price Differential
by altos / February 2, 2006 9:03 AM PST

It appears that the price differential may be
based on the 300 model using the 150 series lens, not the 250 series.

That may or may not be a big deal since no one appears to have one to review. However, the regression in lens size usually... is reflected in production costs and retail prices.

Collapse -
GS250 Fire Sale
by danielemunoz / April 3, 2006 7:51 AM PDT

I found a GS250 alongside a GS300 at a local (Durham NC) BestBuy. Both were marked $699 but there was a sign on the register that said to give 20% off for discontinued models. So after flying home to confirm my research, I was back to pick up my GS250 which is just a more full-featured device than the GS300 (and no, I do not mean the manual focus).

I am finding places still selling the GS250 for $860+.

There is no reason I can discern that the quality of the output would not be identical as between the two models.

I like the GS250 a lot.

Collapse -
Re: GS250 Fire Sale
by ryankelly29 / April 4, 2006 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: GS250 Fire Sale

To clarify, did you get the GS250 for $460 (20% off $699) or did you pay $699 for it? If its $460, its a no brainer - I need to find one at Best Buy immediately! Thanks. - kbiev

Collapse -
Best Buy
by drhiberd / April 5, 2006 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: GS250 Fire Sale

I read on another forum that Best Buy was offering them for $399.
I went to several Best Buy stores in my area, but they were all sold out.
They did verify the price, though.
Pretty good deal.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.