HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

'Puter out of whacked

by georq / November 14, 2003 8:48 AM PST

Trouble with the 'puter I have working. It "freezes" if
that is the right 'puternology. It goes into it own thing and I have absolutely no control over it. Even as
I am typing the letters shows up a few seconds later
rather than as I am typing them. I cant use my IE browser cause my computer can not find "iexplore.exe".
I have tried to find a download for this command but it
seems not to exist. When I try to shut down the 'puter
hesitates, so I uses CTL, ALT, DEL and is presented with a bunch of programs running:explorer, kontiki, lexpps, lw, dmserver, wzqkpick, systray, ptsnoop, and
rundll which I must use "end task" on each of them just
to shut down. Is anyone familiar with their system being utulized in such a manner? How can I get rid of
these intruders? I use ad-ware. PCDOC wants $19.99 to rid 'puter of all bugs and whatevers. I cant just give these people $20.00. Between iexplore.exe, the shut down problem and one I forgot "The SHELL32.DLL file is
linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:SHRegGetUSValueA
with a Win Exec failed. This happens when trying to install programs. I've just about had it. George ------ If you can bring yourself to help me Thanks My system is an AMD K-7 T-Bird, OS/Win98SE, 356 megs of RAM, 30 gig HD with CD-ROM, DVD, Zip, and floppy. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'Puter out of whacked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'Puter out of whacked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:'Puter out of whacked
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2003 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: 'Puter out of whacked

1. "How can I get rid of
these intruders? I use ad-ware. PCDOC wants $19.99 to rid 'puter of all bugs and whatevers. I cant just give these people $20.00."

Same tools, no dollars. Five scans and most people are FREE from such parasites as noted at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

2. "Between iexplore.exe, the shut down problem and one I forgot "The SHELL32.DLL file is
linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:SHRegGetUSValueA"

Review http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=226546

3. "with a Win Exec failed. This happens when trying to install programs. I've just about had it. George ------ If you can bring yourself to help me Thanks My system is an AMD K-7 T-Bird, OS/Win98SE, 356 megs of RAM, 30 gig HD with CD-ROM, DVD, Zip, and floppy."

I'd work items 1 and 2 first.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:'Puter out of whacked
by georq / November 17, 2003 12:27 PM PST

Hi Bob, Thanks for your help. Once again your info is
very helpful. I subsequently got my 'puter up and running again. Boy do I feel a lot better. Thanks again

Collapse -
Georq, Try Some Of These 'Clean Up' Methods Too (Part 1)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 3:56 AM PST

Shut down more start up programs like this:

Click on Start-Programs-Start Up. If there are any listings in the Start Up area, you need to delete as many as you can.(Right click the listing and choose "Delete". Please remember that these are just shortcuts to programs and not actual program files, so its safe to delete them.

Then click on Start-Run, in the typing area put "msconfig" (without the quotes), press Ok. When the System Configuration Utiltiy box opens, click on the Start Up tab. You will see a number of listings with boxes and check marks in them. These are programs that run at start up. You can safely uncheck many of the boxes. Don't uncheck System Tray, Scan Registry, or your Virus Scan startup programs. After you?re done, click ?Apply?, then 0K, and the computer will ask you to restart. Do it and then check your resources again. Hopefully they are much higher.(Don't worry too much, if you make a mistake you can always go back to this box and put a check back in any of the listings you want)

If you have any questions about which programs to UNCHECK in "msconfig", post back, or check for yourself at this site: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm. At this site, wait for the page to load completely, then scroll down to the "The Programs" section and click on the "Full List" link. You should be able to find most programs you have questions about.

Hope this helps and keep reading.

Grif

Collapse -
BUMP......
by John Robie / January 26, 2004 12:57 PM PST

The Grif Thomas "Clean Up Methods" for better computing as shown in his 4 links is something that should be a 'Bump' periodically to help people just like the Anti-Parasite Suite in the Virus & Security Alerts forum... is a 'Bump' every few days.

Collapse -
Keep all message bumps here...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 27, 2004 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: BUMP......

and I will clean it up...thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) Bump
by John Robie / February 8, 2004 4:12 PM PST

Collapse -
(NT) Bump For Georq
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 2, 2004 12:06 AM PST

Collapse -
Georq, Try Some Of These 'Clean Up' Methods (Part 2)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 3:58 AM PST

Try cleaning up the hard drive a little:

Click on Start-Search-Files or Folders, type "*.tmp" (without the quotes), click on the "Search" button. Once all the files show up in the box, and there can be quite a few some times, click on "Edit" in the upper left of the window, choose "Select All" and all the files will be highlighted. Then click on "File", choose "Delete" and the files will be deleted. You can safely delete .tmp files, as they are only temporary files and are placed by Windows when using various programs.

Next, do the same procedure for .chk files that have been placed there by the Scandisk program after a bad start up. Click on Start-Search-Files or Folders, type "*.chk" (without the quotes), click on "Search" button. If any files are found, delete them using the "Edit, Select All, File, Delete" method from above.

Next, you need to clean out all files from these folders. C\Windows\Cookies, C\Windows\History, C\Windows\Temp, and C\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Start by doing this. Click on Start-Settings-Control Panel, double click on the Internet Options icon. When that loads, make sure you're viewing the "General" tab, then click on the "Delete Files" button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section. When the little box pops up, place a CHECK mark in the "Delete all offline content", then click on OK. Now click on the "Settings" button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section and change the number on the "Amount of disk space to use" section to a number of 5. (Some default settings allow for hundreds of mb in this area) Click on Ok, then "Apply" if its not grayed out, then Ok again.

Continued immediately below:

Collapse -
Georq, Try Some Of These 'Clean Up' Methods (Part 3)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 3:59 AM PST

Next, RIGHT click on Start, choose "Explore" from the menu, then looking on the left side of the window that loads, make sure the Windows folder is expanded so all folders within it are displayed below, by double clicking on the folder. Next, double click on the "Cookies" folder. Delete all the files within this folder by using the "Edit, Select All, File, Delete" method. Next, double click on the History folder and delete all files from each one of the days listed. Next, double click on the Temporary Internet Files folder and remove all remaining files from that folder. (You'll notice that the "index.dat" file probably can't be deleted. That's ok, leave it there. It can be removed in DOS, but for now, ignore it.)

At this time, empty your Recycle Bin of all files.

Next, double click on the Temp folder within Windows. There may be a bunch of files in this folder that were placed there by various program installations and uninstallations. Normally, these all should be safe to delete, UNLESS you have "saved" any personal documents here. Just to be careful, highlight a small group of files and delete them to the Recycle Bin. Restart the computer, run the programs, and generally test to make sure that any necessary files haven't been removed. If you don't experience any problems, and you shouldn't, then remove that bunch from the Recycle Bin, then choose another group of files from the C\Windows\Temp folder and delete them to the Recycle Bin.

Continued again immediately below:

Collapse -
Georq, Try Some Of These 'Clean Up' Methods (Part 4)
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 15, 2003 4:02 AM PST

At this time run Scandisk and Defrag to correct and align the file system to its optimum. Do the Scandisk first, then the Defrag. After opening Scandisk, place a CHECK mark in ?Automatically Fix Errors. Click on the "Advanced" button, then make sure the settings look like this:
Display Summary=Always
Log File=Replace Log
Cross-linked File=Delete
Lost File Fragments=Free
Check Valid Files For=Place a check in ALL of the options
Check Host Drive First

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.