Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Purses (from my in-box)

by Mac McMullen / August 4, 2006 1:46 PM PDT

Purses (Have you ever thought about a purse this way)

It's something just about every woman (and some men) carry with them. While they may know what's inside the purse, few ever think about what?s on the outside.

Women carry purses everywhere from the Office to public restrooms to the floor of the car.

We decided to find out if purses harbor bacteria. We learned how to test them at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake, then set out to test the average woman's purse. Most women told us they never thought about what was on the bottom of the purse. Most said they regularly set their purses on top of kitchen tables and counters where food Is prepared.

Microbiologist Amy Karren of Nelson Labs says nearly all of the purses tested were high in harmful kinds of bacteria. Pseudomonas can cause eye infections, Staphylococcus aurous can cause serious skin infections. Salmonella and e-coli found on the purses could make people very sick. In one sampling, four of five purses tested positive for salmonella

"There was fecal contamination on some of the purses," Says Amy. Leather or vinyl purses tended to be cleaner than cloth purses, and lifestyle seemed to play a role. People with kids tended to have dirtier purses than those without. The purse of one woman who frequented nightclubs had one of the worst contaminations of all. "Some type of feces, or even possibly vomit," says Amy.

The moral of this story - your purse won't kill you, but it does have the potential to make you, and others, very sick if you place it on places where you eat or prepare food.

Think about where you put your purse. Use hooks to hang your purse at home and in restrooms. Don't put it on your desk, on a restaurant table, or on your table or kitchen counter-tops at home.

The microbiologists at Nelson said cleaning a purse will help. Wash cloth purses, and use leather cleaner to clean the bottom of leather purses.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purses (from my in-box)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purses (from my in-box)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: "Most women told us
by MarciaB / August 4, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
they never thought about what was on the bottom of the purse. Most said they regularly set their purses on top of kitchen tables and counters where food Is prepared.

I does be one o' them "most women" Wink

Never thought about it much. I avoid setting it down on something obviously nasty, but that's pretty near the extent of it.

Thanks for the head's up, Mac.

--Marcia "must now go buy some leather cleaner" Happy
Collapse -
Cell phones
by JP Bill / August 5, 2006 12:33 AM PDT
What germs are "roaming" on your cell?

If you?re not cleaning your cell phone regularly, you might want to get in the habit.

News Channel 11 and East Tennessee State University?s Quillen College of Medicine conducted an investigation that showed they?re often teeming with bacteria.

?I was surprised there was that many on a cell phone because a cell phone is a metal surface and bacteria tend to not do too well on metal surfaces,? microbiologist Stephen Trent said.
Collapse -
Re: Cell phones
by MarciaB / August 5, 2006 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Cell phones

The part about the cell phone being a "metal surface" caught my eye. There appears to be alot of plastic and other materials on their surface also. The buttons, for example, are usually plastic or a rubbery material. Except for some of the newer models, like the Razr, the face plates are often plastic it seems. Also, a good number of folks have their cell phones in a case of some sort, made of leather or other material. That would likely cause bugs to hang around on the phone.

Anyway, my cell phone is only a few months old; having been convinced by my husband that I needed to have one after I bought my computer store back in September. For the most part, it hangs on the side of my purse in a little leather case, with the phone itself also being in a little leather sleeve. Quite neat and handy. RIGHT! LOL Wink I am notorious for never having it turned on. When it is turned on, it usually has no battery power left on it. I still ask my 11-year-old to help me with it when I try to use it. I can take apart a computer and put it back together with my eyes closed, but I just can't get the hang of the cell phone! (Gives Kelton something to laugh at Mom about) Grin

--Marcia "whose cell phone probably has very few bugs on it from lack of use"

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?