Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Purported bin Laden tape offers Americans terror or truce

by Edward ODaniel / January 19, 2006 6:34 AM PST
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/01/19/osama-tape20060119.html

It remains unclear whether the tape is genuine and, if so, when it was made. It has been uncertain whether bin Laden, who has not been heard from in more than a year, is still alive.

In the tape, broadcast by Qatar-based Al-Jazeera, the speaker refers to attacks in Europe, presumably the commuter-train bombings of 2004 in Madrid and last summer's transit bombings in London.

As translated from Arabic by CNN, the voice says: "I would also like to say that the war against America and its allies will not be confined to Iraq. Iraq has become a magnet for attracting and training talented fighters.

Really interesting to note that the tape appears to acknowledge the media's willing assistance as well as that of the "protest groups" by parroting some of their favorite lines. That is what Giap did when he wrote about it and thanked the media and protestors for their assistance in his victory.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purported bin Laden tape offers Americans terror or truce
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purported bin Laden tape offers Americans terror or truce
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
im waiting for
by Mark5019 / January 19, 2006 6:49 AM PST

the cindy shennans to glomp on this to talk to them talk to the misunderstood islamic killers.

all talking will do is give them time to regroup.
seems funny this happens after we hit them in pakistan.

Collapse -
Man! If you have spokesmen like this...!
by George.G / January 21, 2006 4:42 PM PST
In reply to: im waiting for

"im waiting for
the cindy shennans to glomp on this to talk to them talk to the misunderstood islamic killers."

Need I say anything more?

Collapse -
If you're going to toss
by TONI H / January 21, 2006 8:11 PM PST

somebody's words back at them, doncha think it would be better to do it with with an explanation of your own of why you disagree with those words?

I think the point Mark would have been making is that most of the ones who want us out of Iraq are the same ones who believe that sitting down to tea and discussing our differences with OBL is the route to take rather than keep hunting him down like the dog he is. Bleeding hearts require an audience, and they usually get a willing one with our biased news reporters.....

TONI

Collapse -
Where have you seen
by Dan McC / January 22, 2006 11:14 PM PST

people stating such a belief?

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is your belief?
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 1:20 PM PST
In reply to: Where have you seen
Collapse -
Need I say anything more?
by EdH / January 21, 2006 8:51 PM PST

Please don't.

Collapse -
Amen!
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 1:22 PM PST

Talk about a tin ear! This guy apparently hasn't learned to lurk and learn before displaying his ignorance.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You couldn't have said much less!
by Evie / January 22, 2006 1:28 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, opening mouth and removing doubt was enough.
by Edward ODaniel / January 22, 2006 3:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Bro,you don't talk to...........
by Tonytryke / January 22, 2006 2:05 AM PST
In reply to: im waiting for

deal with,pacify or try in any way to appease scum like that.You give them a dirt nap.

Collapse -
works for me
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:13 AM PST

wish i was the exicutioner

Collapse -
It's been confirmed genuine by the CIA
by Josh K / January 19, 2006 7:21 AM PST

I'm just glad we're focusing every possible resource on finding him.

Oh wait....

Collapse -
there not sure its recent
by Mark5019 / January 19, 2006 7:22 AM PST

wait oh well

you can go join the peace talks:(

Collapse -
I'm curious, Mark
by Josh K / January 20, 2006 1:43 AM PST

How do you take my comment that we're not trying hard enough to get bin Laden and interpret it to mean I favor negotiating with him?

Collapse -
your constant
by Mark5019 / January 20, 2006 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: I'm curious, Mark

naysaying on this war leads me to beleave it.you havent shown any support.

Collapse -
You're missing my point
by Josh K / January 20, 2006 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: your constant

I don't approve of the way this Administration is handling the response to 9/11. I also do not support the notion of negotiation or appeasement with bin Laden. I'd like to see more resources devoted to trying to catch/kill him and his 2nd in command. I happen to think that Iraq is diverting resources that could be used more effectively to go after the people who actually attacked us and are still out there threatening to do it again.

I hope that makes my position clear to you.

Collapse -
One more time, Mark: The war in Iraq has NOTHING
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 22, 2006 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: your constant

to do with 9/11. That's what the Presidential Commission found, and it's the truth. Besides, most of those who oppose our entry into the war (including me) want the war won successfully (largely because of the Powell 'you broke it, you fix it" doctrine -- but that doesn't mean that those who lied us into the war for their own ends (and ruined our economy and our international standing in the process, ending once and for all "The American Century") shouldn't pay the price by being tossed out on their ear into the trash heap of history, where they belong.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
and Dave
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:12 AM PST

as Saddam was training terrorists if you read the link i supplied week ago you wouldn't still be saying this.

but you and your kind still refuse to see your wrong.

glad you aren't in power.

and what lies?
bush was going on what Intel was told to him, some it seems now shows that peaceful moderate beneficial Saddam was training terrorists.
and as to wmds i guess the kurds died from saddam farting!

Collapse -
Unfortunately Mark ...
by Evie / January 22, 2006 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: and Dave

... he would still be saying it. Just as he still says that there was black voter suppression in Florida in 2000 and every other myth he continues to perpetrate to assuage his BDS.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
That's not even what the 9/11 Commission found ...
by Evie / January 22, 2006 3:33 AM PST

... but that's besides the point.

9/11 was but ONE attack in the war being waged against us up until that point.

Do you think we would be safe if we just killed all those involved in that ONE attack?

Get real!

Ruined our economy? Again, get real! It is doing PHENOMENALLY by any measure Dave.

Collapse -
One more time you are WRONG!
by Edward ODaniel / January 22, 2006 3:45 AM PST

Don't you EVER bother listening to speaches or reading the transcripts when linked to them? That is a rhetorical question of course as your words have already answered with a resounding NO.

To let you in on a little secret about the battle plan that all you "ultra liberal progressives" so conveniently ignore or forget (and apparently think normal people do too), here is a direct link to the President's speech on 20 September 2001 and just a tiny bit from it to refresh your memory.
http://www.greatdreams.com/bush_speech_92001.htm

Americans have many questions tonight. Americans are asking, "Who attacked our country?"

The evidence we have gathered all points to a collection of loosely affiliated terrorist organizations known as al Qaeda. They are some of the murderers indicted for bombing American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya and responsible for bombing the USS Cole.

Al Qaeda is to terror what the Mafia is to crime. But its goal is not making money, its goal is remaking the world and imposing its radical beliefs on people everywhere.

The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism that has been rejected by Muslim scholars and the vast majority of Muslim clerics; a fringe movement that perverts the peaceful teachings of Islam.

The terrorists' directive commands them to kill Christians and Jews, to kill all Americans and make no distinctions among military and civilians, including women and children.

This group and its leader, a person named Osama bin Laden, are linked to many other organizations in different countries, including the Egyptian Islamic Jihad, the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan.

There are thousands of these terrorists in more than 60 countries.

(APPLAUSE)

Our war on terror begins with Al Qaeda, but it does not end there.

It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated.

(APPLAUSE)

Americans are asking, "How will we fight and win this war?"

We will direct every resource at our command ? every means of diplomacy, every tool of intelligence, every instrument of law enforcement, every financial influence, and every necessary weapon of war ? to the destruction and to the defeat of the global terror network.

Now, this war will not be like the war against Iraq a decade ago, with a decisive liberation of territory and a swift conclusion. It will not look like the air war above Kosovo two years ago, where no ground troops were used and not a single American was lost in combat.

Our response involves far more than instant retaliation and isolated strikes. Americans should not expect one battle, but a lengthy campaign unlike any other we have ever seen. It may include dramatic strikes visible on TV and covert operations secret even in success.

We will starve terrorists of funding, turn them one against another, drive them from place to place until there is no refuge or no rest.

And we will pursue nations that provide aid or safe haven to terrorism. Every nation in every region now has a decision to make: Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists.

(APPLAUSE)

Yes "progressives" and Deaniacs, and Moore's, and Sheehans, you are either with us or against us and Bin Laden's latest tape shows how he and other Al-Qaeda leadership have picked up on the support for his cause provided by the above mentioned in the media.

Y'all may not be intentionally supporting terrorism, but your negativity provides support FOR continued terrorism EXACTLY as another generation provided support for Communist North Vietnam against the US and received credit for their active participation for his cause by General Giap.

Shame on you, ALL OF YOU!

Collapse -
edward thank you
by Mark5019 / January 22, 2006 3:53 AM PST

but i bet it falls not only on deaf ears and blind eyes.
they cant stand to think there wrong

Collapse -
What I don't understand
by Diana Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 8:55 AM PST

I understand wanting to kill the infidels but why is it OK to kill tons of Muslims that are just trying to make a living and provide for their families?

Diana

Collapse -
were not killing tons
by Mark5019 / January 24, 2006 8:57 AM PST

there own killing them diana

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not us - them killing Muslims
by Diana Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: were not killing tons
Collapse -
and you disagree?
by Mark5019 / January 24, 2006 1:00 PM PST

because your loseing me

Collapse -
That is how terror works...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2006 12:55 PM PST

get the populace terrified and they will not do anything to oppose you.

That is what the VC did in Vietnam and it worked for them.

Collapse -
You're worried about
by Cindi Haynes / January 22, 2006 4:18 AM PST

"ending the American Century"????

How bout you spend more time worrying about terrorists "ending America"?

geez.

--Cindi

Collapse -
Cindy, just how would
by Dan McC / January 22, 2006 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: You're worried about

you envision the end of America at the hands of terrorists coming about? What actions would they take and how would those actions cause America to end?

Thanks,

Dan

Collapse -
Dan, just how would you
by TONI H / January 22, 2006 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: Cindy, just how would

envision the end of the terrorists coming about? What actions would you take and would those actions cause terrorism to end?

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?