Office & Productivity Software forum

Resolved Question

Purifying text by pasting from Notepad - other methods?

by D-Flo / February 1, 2014 3:22 AM PST

I often paste text into Notepad to strip off custom fonts, italics, etc. so that I can paste it into word processing programs, emails, etc. in "pure" format so I don't end up having to modify fonts, etc. after I'm finished pasting.

My use of Notepad is the best technique I've come up with to accomplish this goal, but I was hoping someone might recommend a faster solution. Using Notepad this way requires the user to go through something like 9 to 10 steps for each paste job. Even though I'm a quick draw McGraw on the keyboard shortcuts and the mouse, I was hoping someone might point me to an even quicker solution.

Specifically I was hoping that Windows 7 has the capability for the user to type in a modified version of "Ctrl-C" (e.g., "Shift Ctrl-C") that would allow me to bypass Notepad entirely and basically do the same thing that Notepad does to the text (i.e., stripping off all the formatting and leaving me with pure ANSII characters to paste into programs that will automatically assign the default formats.

Anyone heard of such a keyboard shortcut, or maybe an app that works with Windows 7 to allow that kind of copying and pasting?

D-Flo has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purifying text by pasting from Notepad - other methods?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purifying text by pasting from Notepad - other methods?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
It would be helpful to know WHAT you're pasting into
by wpgwpg / February 1, 2014 3:28 AM PST

Most places you'd want to paste text have formatting controls at the top of the window you're typing into. E.g. this forum has "B I U" near the upper left corner. So do Word, Wordpad, and Windows Live Mail. You can just do a simple copy & paste into these, then highlight what you want to change, then click the appropriate B, I, or U to "unformat" the text. That's a lot simpler than using Notepad and is what I do.

Collapse -
problems with formatting after pasting
by D-Flo / February 1, 2014 3:54 AM PST

I see what you're saying, and that probably is easier if you need to modify only 1 format (e.g., font size). But most of the time the text I want to bring over has more than 1 format that needs changing, and that's where all the extra mouse movements and clicking and selecting dropdown menus, etc. starts to get time consuming.

For example, let's compare my Notepad purifying technique with your "use the toolbar" technique where there are 4 differences between the copied text and the format of the text into which you want to paste it. I'll count the steps (and I'm assuming all relevant programs are already open so they can be accessed by alt-tab)

Notepad method
1. use mouse to locate and highlight text
2. ctrl-c<div>3. alt-tab to Notepad
<div>4. ctrl-v)
5. ctrl-a
6. ctrl-x
7. alt-tab to the app you want to paste to

8. use mouse to locate a spot to either select a cursor point or highlight a section of text to be replaced
9. ctrl-v
(summary: 7 keyboard shortcuts, 2 mouse moves)

Formatting post-paste using the app's tool bar

1. use mouse to locate and highlight text</div>2. ctrl-c
3. alt-tab to the app you want to paste into
4. use mouse to locate a spot to either select a cursor point or highlight a section of text to be replaced
5. ctrl-v
6. use mouse to click on font size button,
7. select font
8. use mouse to click on italics button
9. use mouse to click on boldface button
10. use mouse to click on font type
11. use mouse to select font
</div>(summary: 2 keyboard shortcuts, 9 mouse moves)

I'm one of those PC users who infinitely prefers keyboard shortcuts to mouse moves, so I'm looking for a way to use ctrl-c in a special way so that the formatting of the original text is stripped off so I can simply insert it into a program that will automatically assign the default formats to it so I can avoid all those mouse moves! Plus, by relying post-paste on the toolbar, there's risk of rogue formatting codes messing with your new text.

Anyone?

Collapse -
There's a complete list of these in Help & Support
by wpgwpg / February 1, 2014 4:01 AM PST

If you go to Help and Support in Windows 7, then type in keyboard shortcuts it will allow you to see every one there is.
`
Good luck.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by D-Flo

Collapse -
For Word, I've never had to resort to hard labor like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 4:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Now you've got me thinking!
by D-Flo / February 1, 2014 4:42 AM PST

Thanks for the hot tip! I will search for "paste special" help for whatever app I'm pasting into. Great suggestion.

Collapse -
Now you are a dangerous person.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 5:05 AM PST

To ease the authorities finding you can you supply GPS coords? Shocked

Collapse -
lol
by D-Flo / February 1, 2014 5:19 AM PST

I've been dodging red lectroids and thought police since 1984. Whenever I see someone with "Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems," "OCP," or "Weyland-Yutani" labels on their vehicles or clothing, I'm ghost baby!

Collapse -
Great flick.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: lol

I had it on VHS, re-ordered it on DVD and it was a hoot to work at some company that ends with "Dynamics" and finding too many folk whose first name is "John."

Thanks!

Collapse -
I know this is off topic, but ...
by D-Flo / February 1, 2014 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Great flick.

Funny that Peter Weller also portrayed the original Robocop (I wonder why they bothered with that remake). To me, Weller is like the Harry Dean Stanton of sci-fi flicks (if that makes any sense). He was also Marcus in the new Star Trek (into darkness). Great actor.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!