Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Purchasing the Dell Inspiron 1521

by jovan285 / July 21, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

Hello, I am about to purchase this laptop and here are the exact specs:
AMD Turion? 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 (1MB/2.0GHz)
Midnight Blue
FREE! 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
ATI RADEON

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchasing the Dell Inspiron 1521
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchasing the Dell Inspiron 1521
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not bad, but...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2007 12:06 PM PDT

I'd go in a slightly different direction. For an extra $28 I would trade it in for the HP dv6500t, which has the following differences:

* The Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 is pretty much on par with the AMD TL-60.

* The NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS easily bests the ATI Radeon Xpress 1270. Note that it has 128MB dedicated memory plus up to 767MB shared RAM (a combined total of 895MB), and natively supports DirectX 10. The ATI Xpress 1270 only natively supports DirectX 9 and the actual amount of memory is unknown, though its theoretical maximums are half that of the 8400M GS.

* Vista Home Premium offers the Aero interface, Media Center functionality, scheduled backups, and advanced games that Vista Basic lacks.

* Comes with integrated 802.11 a/b/g support, not just an 802.11 b/g mini-card.

* Includes Microsoft Works 8.0 to get you started with productivity software.

* Doesn't offer in-home service, but they do pay for shipping to the repair facility if it can't be fixed at a local authorized repair facility.

* Does not include theft protection, though it can be added. But considering any decent thief knows to circumvent that before going online I consider it overrated.

Both are nice options, but the HP is a little better deal in my opinion.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I agree
by pooky5333 / July 23, 2007 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Not bad, but...

i would also get vista premium

Collapse -
With John suggestion what you think
by jovan285 / July 23, 2007 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Module Description Show Details
Inspiron 1520 Intel

Collapse -
That's good...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2007 6:36 AM PDT

HP and Dell are the two best-value options, and HP can't offer anything substantially better at that price. Their's is $70 less, but has the 8400M GS instead of the 8600M GT and doesn't include the in-home service or the 2 years of McAfee protection. You may be able to find a pre-built model slightly cheaper after sales/rebates, but that's a fine custom build that's not likely to be beaten for the price.

Enjoy!
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by jovan285 / July 23, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: That's good...

You mind telling me your opinions on this pc

Collapse -
Sure...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2007 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

The dominant edition of Vista and most games will run smoothly on one of the more powerful graphics chips available for laptops for some time to come. The two gigabytes of RAM ensure you can multitask without suffering from a loss of performance, but likewise will not be affected by the 4GB limit imposed by the 32-bit version of Windows. The processor will complement the rest of the system nicely while the hard drive is adequate for storing not only personal files but multimedia for the road as well. And the inclusion of McAfee and Works ensures you can get to work 'right out of the box' without the immediate need for further investments. Overall it's a nice laptop that should suit you well for the next few years without breaking the bank.

John

Collapse -
Productivity
by pooky5333 / July 23, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

you might want to include home office and student for a 150 dollars to make charts and presentations.

Collapse -
Not necessary...
by John.Wilkinson / July 23, 2007 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Productivity

Works 8.0 should be fine, but if you need Microsoft Office compatibility OpenOffice (OpenOffice.org) is a free open-source alternative that can open and create all such documents, spreadsheets, and projects.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.