General discussion

Purchasing new desktop, need two monitors

I want to purchase a desktop that will run two monitors (20 ").
I often work at home and also use the computer for photo editing, research and writing. I have about $1300 to spend. Suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Purchasing new desktop, need two monitors
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Purchasing new desktop, need two monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: PC with 2 monitors

Any new PC that you can configure with a video card that supports 2 monitors will be OK, given these requirements. Just buy a PC pre-configured with such a card or ask the shop to put it in, if it doesn't already have it.

Kees

- Collapse -
Purchasing new desktop, need two monitors

Any suggestions as to brand? I have an old Alienware that has seen better days, and the quality of the parts were an issue.
My Compaq laptops developed issues with the pin that connects to the AC adapter, and since it is on the motherboard, I can't get anyone to fix that.
Hence, I am concerned about brand.

- Collapse -
There is a model where the power connection was never an iss

The new Apple laptops have that magnetic power jack. It should never develop that fault. And since laptop power jack repairs are done widely here (google laptop jack repair) I think you only need to find the right person/company.

Another brand with better hardware is the Toughbooks. Google those.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info