Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Purchasing new camera ? need help on DVD vs. Hard drive

by sacoll / April 24, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

My Mini-DV camera is biting the dust so I need a new camera. Have been researching info about both Mini-DVD and Hard Drive cameras. I would love to get a High Def. Hard Drive, but at this time, I don?t have an HD TV or the capability to copy in High Def. from the camera to a High Def. DVD (I was told by a Sony rep. that you have to copy it to a Blue Ray disc in order to get proper High Def. conversion).

I am now looking at a Standard Def camera and don?t know if I should go with a Hard Drive or Mini-DVD. Recording done for family gatherings, outdoor sports (rodeos) and vacations. Looking at going on a 2 week vacation in the fall but don?t have a laptop to download from a hard drive camera to computer which concerns me. Not sure how many hours I can get in highest quality filming. Also, I am wanting to get a VHS/DVD recorder combo to copy old family VHS tapes to a DVD so I?m wondering if I can plug camera directly in to this to get a DVD made of what I?ve recorded.

Don?t have a DVD recorder on my computer, but am willing to get one. Have never worked with video on a computer, but would love to learn how to edit movies, etc. Am comfortable with computers, it's just learning how to work with the new technology.

Important factors for me are definitely image stabilization and hopefully something more than 10X optical zoom. Would enjoy dual record (can take a photo at same time as recording).

Looking at Sony?s and have narrowed it down to 2 Hard Drives ? DCR-SR220 and HDR-SR210D (what does the ?D? stand for?). DVD?s narrowed down to DCR-DVD810 and DVD910.

Would really appreciate some input and help in making the right choice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchasing new camera ? need help on DVD vs. Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchasing new camera ? need help on DVD vs. Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Between the two....
by whizkid454 / April 24, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

The HDD camcorders win. DVD camcorders give a lot of problems. For more info about that, search the forum for "DVD camcorder" and you'll see why.

Also, could you tell me where you saw the SR210D because I can't find one hit on google about that model.

Collapse -
Between the two.....
by sacoll / April 24, 2008 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Between the two....

My fault -- it's an SR10D

Collapse -
If you are even thinking about editing
by boya84 / April 24, 2008 9:54 AM PDT

the video in your computer, I would stay very far away from DVD based camcorders. Better yet, just decide that DVD based camcorders do not exist.

Hard drive or flash memory if you must... bear in mind that miniDV tape continues to provide best available quality due to least amount of compression.

But DVD based camcorder? Please, no.

Collapse -
If you are even thinking about editing
by sacoll / April 24, 2008 11:35 AM PDT

It isn't a must that I edit on a computer, but think it would be fun and to try. I'm sure would need specific software to be able to do this.

I'm most interested in getting the "best bang for the buck" with a good quality camera to be able to handle the outdoors, pick up good sound, have image stabilization, etc. etc.

Collapse -
If you "think it would be fun and to try" edit
by boya84 / April 24, 2008 2:05 PM PDT

then you should stay away from DVD based camcorders. Truly. Seriously. Please.

Collapse -
Best camcorder to buy....
by sacoll / April 25, 2008 4:19 AM PDT

OK -- I'm leaning heavily towards the HDR-SR10.

Which software is recommended to pull the footage from camera to the computer? Which software is most recommended for editing?

Can I plug directly in to a DVD-RW that's hooked up with my t.v. to burn a DVD of the footage?

Collapse -
The Sony HDR-SR10 is
by boya84 / April 25, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

a hard drive based, high definition camcorder which saves video to a relatively new AVCHD compression format. Not all video editors can deal with the different AVCHD camcorders out there from the different manufacturers.

As a hard drive based camcorder, the connection is via USB, the camcorder mounts like any other USB mass storage device and you copy the files to your computer.

Since we don't know which computer you use:
For Windows, the most current version of Sony Vegas (Platinum, I think - check on this at the Sony Vegas site http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp?keycode=3144-3000 ).
For Macintosh, iMovieHD 07 (which shipped with iLife08) or the most current versions of FinalCut Express or FinalCut Pro2.

Since I don't know what DVD-writer you have connected to your TV, I don't know which connections it requires - but the worst case is that you can connect the SR10 to the DVD writer with the analog AV cables that cam with the camcorder and burn your DVDs. Be aware that once the DVDs are burned, that compression applies - if you are presuming that DVD is now the source video file and that allows you to delete the original footage from the camcorder, then you will be stuck with the highly compressed standard definition video on the DVD. If you want this video to edit later, and you have not made a data file backup of the original files from the camcorder, then you will need to rip the video from th DVD - I use HandBrake for ripping DVDs (there are other rippers out there - HandBrake is cross platform and Open Source.
http://handbrake.fr/

Collapse -
Try the demos...
by whizkid454 / April 25, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

to see which one you like best.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.