HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Purchasing advice.

by LordFanny / February 20, 2008 10:25 AM PST

So, what's it all about? After $1,200 and three years, my Inspiron 5150 finally bit it (mostly due to the fact that my machine's overheating/shutting down problems "fell outside" of the well-publicized recall's date range). I began looking for a new system, which was just plain sad at first, given that I found myself rolling around in Dell's MS love-in yet again. But after spreading my wings a bit and looking at machines off the beaten-path (well, for me, anyway), I'm thinking about picking up an Asus eee pc (2GB) and the Everex gpc. My computing needs are pretty slim; I'm not doing much more than extensive word processing and going online, and occasionally updating my iPod. The gpc would be my main system, and the eee pc would offer me the portability that my old 12 pounder never had (and yes, I've handled one and don't forsee any problems with the keyboard/screen). My question is this: for someone who's neither linux literate nor particularly computer literate but is also not a complete moron and is completely willing to get away from a standard OS, does this seem like a half-decent idea? Or at least a better idea than dropping $700 on a dell laptop full of junk I don't need? And will basic hardware things, like hooking up a monitor or installing a wireless card (both of which I've done before) be frustrating for someone who hasn't used linux before?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchasing advice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchasing advice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wasn't that the famous Pentium 4 laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Purchasing advice.

Those were short lived but let's not delude ourselves. Laptops do have a shorter lifespan than desktops for all the reasons you know about.

Even the battery is only rated for 500 charges or 18 months. That's not talked about much for fear the buyers would stage a revolt.

Ok, why the need for the P4? and now you are looking at a 1ghz lightweight? How about your usual office store 599 buck special? These last at our office far too long. But then again we may add a wireless keyboard and mouse so the users don't pound the machine.

Bob

Collapse -
To be honest, the P4 really was more than I needed.
by LordFanny / February 20, 2008 2:37 PM PST

The irresponsible appeal of a high(er) powered laptop more or less drove the purchase (without corresponding high(er) powered needs), plus some since-abandoned gaming ambitions. I mean, I really don't use a computer these days for anything other than general internet access and producing documents. I've looked at getting a large-retailer low-end laptop, but at this point I'd prefer to have a dedicated workstation and a laptop that's actually portable for roughly the same price. I'm mostly concerned about whether an MS user like myself is going to have much of a problem navigating monitor/wireless card/etc hardware installations.

Collapse -
How about cheap? 299 ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 10:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Although I would, like Bob, ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 21, 2008 7:35 AM PST

go for a cheap low end laptop if the Acer eee suits your needs then go for it.

I know a couple of people who got one (mostly for the novelty) and they find them suitable (one left it as it came and the other is talking about loading XP since it comes with the drivers).

Since they are actually designed for kids in elementary school you shouldn't have any major problems other than learning the interface.

I will say that because of the type drive they have they do boot amazingly quickly if that is a consideration for your portable platform.

Collapse -
Dell and others
by Willy / February 20, 2008 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Purchasing advice.

When I went shopping for a laptop, many offered the same options within a few $ of each for the same model or specs. It became confusing and really the small details made the purchase the final cut. I brought an Acer laptop with a T2330 and stuffed with decent options. Overall, many offered the same specs, but having a webcam and larger HD did it for me. I didn't want a Dell since I didn't want to deal with Dell support. I really wanted an IBM(Lenovo now) but the Acer came in looking good at less cost. I also needed the Vista OS in order to keep up with repairs and understanding the world of Vista. So far it proven well, but I believe Vista itself is the biggest drag on the system, nothing else seems to. If there some laptops I didn't like were those from HP /Compaq, they seem cheap, in fact at times I found missing keycaps on various models in different shops, aahhha. For Asus systems, they do make these for other laptop providers as the OEM maker as well as Acer, so really you're in good company. My 2-cents

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.