General discussion

Purchasing a PC with an internal TV tuner

If I am not home to watch some daytime programs (they are not on demand, i.e. Dr. Oz), I want to be able to watch it later on my PC. I assume with a TV tuner I can do this? I believe I saw a PC with a TV tuner, but when I did a google search, I could not find one. I presently have a slim Gateway CPU and was told it would be difficult to install one on this. Alternatively, if I can't find one that has an internal one, are some PCs easy to install this?

I appreciate your responses to my questions.

Thanks,
Karen

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Purchasing a PC with an internal TV tuner
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Purchasing a PC with an internal TV tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're right. Here's what happened.

In the stampede to HDTV all the old tv tuners were made obsolete. And all the makers found that support costs outstripped what they would have made on tuners. Then the cable company went digital, here I only can get ATT Uverse (anther all digital system) so the market for the old tuners kept dropping.

The final nail in the tuner business was the networks now other later viewing from their web sites. Between CBS, Hulu, PBS and who else the need to record has dropped to an all time low.

Here's the search for Dr. Oz episode full episodes online:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=watch+dr.+oz+full+episodes+online

Bob

- Collapse -
Not popular anymore due to online viewing
- Collapse -
Just one problem.

None appear to work with ATT's Uverse system.

--> The Death Star logo seems to fit so well now.

- Collapse -
I shudder

to recommend Slingbox Pro-HD since OP is having enough trouble searching for a solution and might not be willing to drop a bundle. Oops, might have unintentionally solicited more questions.

- Collapse -
Looked at that one.
- Collapse -
Connect the two

by component and select compt input for SB, then IR blast channel select from SB to Uverse.

- Collapse -
Component in Uverse gets me 480p.

Looks like they really want to lock out HD recording.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yeah, unfortunately

but who'd need to watch Dr. Oz in HD Happy

- Collapse -
It would work for me when

He brings out the diseased organs to show what happens to your internals.

Just kidding(?) But my HD wish list is limited to Stargate series and such.

At least the Uverse DVR does that in HD.
Bob

- Collapse -
Use a half height tuner card

Here is a link to a Dual tuner PCI-E card that will fit in your expansion slot. It has 2 digital tuners so with this you can hook up a loop antenna(uhf loop)move it around to get the best signal and if you want run a splitter from it to use both tuners and record two things at once while watching one recorded on the hard drive at the same time. It is easy to install a card inside your PC and install the software, you may need to update the drivers at the Mfr's website for better performance. There are a few different kind of tuners available, some come with remotes. They also work with windows media center which works better that the cable DVR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116037

- Collapse -
Looks incompatible with Comcast Digital Cable and Uverse.

The cable and tv providers are moving fast. It appears the TV tuner makers have their work cut out for them.
Bob

- Collapse -
try these:

First, as to your post above, about only getting 480p via component, really? What if you had an older but serviceable HD set? Anyway, here are a few choices that might get you what you want.

An HDMI capture card (internal or external box available) from blackmagic:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

I don't think it has IR blaster capability so it's not a complete solution, but there are probably other boxes and/or software to complement it.

Next, A wicked-expensive but complete solution from Ceton. A four-tuner hdmi capture card that accepts cablecards provided by your cable provider (available by law from all cable providers). Will receive all your channels, scrambled or not. Works with windows media center (windows7 only):

http://www.cetoncorp.com/

Next, ATI also makes an external video capture / cable tuner box that accepts cablecards. It might have been discontinued, but is still available. Just google:

"ATI TV WONDER (EXTERNAL) DIGITAL CABLE TUNER 100-703268"

Last, you can always get an HD Tivo, no monthly subscription fee with lifetime service. A bit expensive, but cheaper in the long run than paying for the cable company's DVR, and you can't beat the features and user interface.

By the way, to Karen, the original poster, just about any capture card that has IR blaster cabability will work just fine. If you don't need HD, you can also buy an older Tivo with lifetime subscription on Ebay pretty cheap.

- Collapse -
Now we're talking. HDMI capture.

Cool stuff.

Thanks for the update.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info