Laptops forum

General discussion

Purchased new laptop - desktop not wireless - help!

For Christmas we purchased an HP5330 notebook - it's great! However, we wanted to go wireless but found our old Gateway (1998) does not have a wireless card and so the router I purchased will not work.

We are up in the air as to what to do. Should we replace our desktop with a new one (have to stay fairly inexpensive and not sure what brand to pick) or - should we purchase another barebones notebook and forget the desktop and hook these up together - or should we get a geek out here to help with setting up the wireless with our old '98 computer...? We do have high speed cable.

Thanks for any help...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchased new laptop - desktop not wireless - help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchased new laptop - desktop not wireless - help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should be able to add a wi-fi card

In reply to: Purchased new laptop - desktop not wireless - help!

You should be able to buy a PC card for either a desktop or notebook (cards are different - notebook goes into PC cards lot externally and desktop card plugs into expansion slot internally and the connector hangs out at the back) with no problem. You should be able to install it using Windows 98 (but check box).

If you are running at 54G or below you don't even have to use the same manufacturer as the wi-fi router but of course that makes it easier. If you want to go to 108mps you need hardware from the same company (or at least using the same core technology like Atheros on D-link).

A card for a notebook or desktop for 54G should be under $40 and even under $30 when on sale ........

Collapse -
Where's your router located?

In reply to: Purchased new laptop - desktop not wireless - help!

If your wireless router is near your desktop computer, just plug it directly into the router with a standard ethernet cable. I've got a very similar set-up to yours...I have an aging desktop computer that I use occassionaly and I have it wired directly into the router with a cable. My XBox and laptop both have wireless adapters that allow them to be placed in other rooms via a wireless connection to the web. My old desktop DOES NOT have a wireless card in it. Now, if your router is down in a basement or something, this set-up might not work for you. You could simply go out and buy a wireless adapter for the desktop and save a bunch of $$ rather than buying a new computer, (besides, most new machines don't ship with wireless cards anyway.)

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
1 hardwired computer essential for proper wi-fi updates

In reply to: Where's your router located?

Yes, at least one computer should be hard wired (via Ethernet) to the wi-fi router and that computer should be used to update the router bios and set up the security settings for the wi-fi and change any settings.

So, a desktop is the best choice (although you can temporarily wire up a notebook) to do this if you can put it right next to where your DSL or Cable connection is.

Collapse -
Relieved I don't have to buy new computer but still not sure

In reply to: 1 hardwired computer essential for proper wi-fi updates

Okay, I went to the store but I am not comfortable putting in an Ethernet card but someone suggested a Wireless USB adapter... would this work? The store sold me a wired Network USB adapter which of course didn't work. (I don't think they knew what I was talking about as it hooks up by USB on one side but the other side is some connection I don't have and it's not wireless).

The box from Time Warner is hooked up by USB connection to the computer.

It would be great if this was all I needed for awhile. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Ok. Here's what you do.

In reply to: Relieved I don't have to buy new computer but still not sure

Get two Ethernet cables. The thing they sold you is correct.

You have the box from Time Warner hooked up via USB, but to share it you need to hook it up using Ethernet. Look on the modem to see if it has a port like a large telephone jack. This is a hardwired network jack. If so, you can proceed. If not, you need a modem which can do Ethernet.

If you had the large-telephone-like plug, take one ethernet cable and plug it from the modem to the "Modem" or "WAN" port on the router. Now plug into one of the numbered (1,2,3 or 4) ports on the back of the router into that USB adapter they sold you.

Now you should be directly connected to the router and the router should be directly connected to the modem. This is how you want to configure your hardware setup.

Having both machines on wireless is bad because you have to set up the wireless to begin with. This is hard to do when you don't have a computer that's plugged directly into the router.

Now, from here, setting up the router is another task. I really have to recommend my Belkin 54G router. I have never been impressed with a router until this one. It was easy to set up, and not just because I've done it a million times. I felt that even a computer naif could set it up without a problem. Not saying you are a naif or anything. Wink

Collapse -
Thanks Ryan... a few more questions......

In reply to: Ok. Here's what you do.

The cable box does have the large plug like a telephone and at one time I did have the router and cable hooked up (Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router). This didn't work of course because of the USB connection.

So if I understand you, I need to buy an Ethernet cable (are there different kinds?). I'm still not sure how this will work - it's a Linksys Compact USB 2.0 network Adapter. There's the place to connect it USB - but the other side of the adapter is like a little hinge that opens... doesn't look like a large telephone clip would fit in there... not sure what type of connection it takes.... the cable that came with the router does not fit in there

Hope this makes sense... thanks for your help! Also, do you think this is possible.....

Collapse -
Ignore message above

In reply to: Thanks Ryan... a few more questions......

You're right Ryan, I'm a naif (not sure what that is but I think I'm one!). The ethernet cord from the router does fit into the adapter so I'm off to the store to buy an additional ethernet to cord to see if this will work....

Collapse -
From there follow linksys instructions

In reply to: Ignore message above

Collapse -
It worked!!!! Another question about security....

In reply to: Shorter Link

THANK YOU! Wow - both computers are online....!!!!! I didn't have to put in any information or set it up - it just connected. Hopefully last question - how do I am sure both computers are secure so they cannot be tapped into? Again, thanks sooooooooooo much for your help. My kids think I am a genius!

Collapse -
Wi-fi encyption and SSID address setup

In reply to: It worked!!!! Another question about security....

You have to set up the encyption on the wi-fi router setup screens. Make sure you do this on the hard wired (ethernet connected computer) at all times.

Also, you should go to the wi-fi router manufacturer website and download any firmware (bios) update as I had much better performance (flawless) after doing this. Also, do this only on the ethernet hard wired computer.

Once you select encryption you have to enter a password (and make sure you put it somewhere you won't lose it). Then you will have to enter that in your notebook wi-fi log on once and after than you should log in automatically as before assuming you don't change the password.

You also need to select a name on the wi-fi router set up (may have default name already but rename it -- this is called the SSID code. If you are very worried about people fishing for your SSID code you can block it but the encyrption for most people is enough.

When you log on your notebook, you should see the name you called the SSID coming up -- enter both the SSID code and the password for any wi-fi computer you want to access your wi-fi and you should be done.

The wi-fi router I have (D-link) gives you a special internet access string (on your Explorer browser)that takes you to the setup screen to download firmware or to change your wi-fi settings. You need to set a password to protect the set-up mode also.

Read your manual -- these are the basics but it can differ.

Once you are set up with encyption you notebook should log on automatically as before when the wi-fi is turned on. Make sure you turn the wi-fi off on the notebook when not using it as it uses more battery life or even more A/C.

Collapse -
Well, that didn't last long.....

In reply to: Wi-fi encyption and SSID address setup

I was going to try and encrypt the desktop (though still not sure how).... but it's running so slow I can't even access the internet from it. I'm on the notebook right now which is working great but I don't think that old 98 can handle the stress of this. Worked fine for a while.... any thoughts or should I give up?

Collapse -
Don't give up.

In reply to: Well, that didn't last long.....

As long as the wireless link is secured, your desktop is secured. It's plugged directly in to the router.

Anyway, review each change you made to the router. If you could list them I could probably tell you which one caused the desktop to conk out.

Collapse -
Use notebook ethernet hard wired if needed

In reply to: Well, that didn't last long.....

You can hook the notebook up temporarily using the ethernet hard wire connection (assuming you have an ethernet jack which you should hopefully) and update it using the notebook.

Again if you change security settings or download the wi-fi firmware (bios) using wi-fi and something goes wrong you could be cooked.

The D-link wi-fi router specifically states to do these functions using a hard wired (ethernet) computer plugged in directly to the router.

You should only have to do this setup rarely so use the notebook now if necessary hard wired....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!