Phones forum

General discussion

Purchased Alltel plan online; awating credit check results

by juelito / February 27, 2006 12:45 PM PST

I am 21 years old and I have no credit. My credit is not bad. I have no credit to speak of. . . it says they are shipping my phone to me airborne 2 day delivery. I am wondering how long the credit check will take? And since I have just placed the order and this isn't business hours, is the credit check automated or does a person have to do it tommorow? One more question: since I have no credit will I have to pay a deposit? I've been researching and so far I'm getting mixed answers such as ''You won't have to pay a deposit but you will have a 150 a mo bill limit.'' Another popular response: ''Yes, you will have to pay 150 dollar deposit if you have no credit.'' Which of these is true? And is the credit check automated or do I have to wait until business hours to find out? Is there anyone out there that can help me? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchased Alltel plan online; awating credit check results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchased Alltel plan online; awating credit check results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there is no certain answer
by jbroshear / February 28, 2006 4:59 AM PST

if you are deemed to have insufficient credit history, they put you into any of these buckets. Most likely is deposit required. everybody's requirement is different.

Collapse -
there is no certain answer
by dave1973 / February 28, 2006 11:02 AM PST

I don't know what the deposit is with Alltel, but at least in the Chicago market, Nextel typicall charges $500, Cingular is $500 (but one Cingular rep at Best Buy called up about a potential customer, and was quoted $3000, which is $1000 x's 3 phones), Verizon is $400, and many agents of T-Mobile only stores almost always work something out so a deposit isn't required, at least that's the case around NW Indiana. I don't know if the deposit amount for Sprint is the same as Nextel, but I'm not sure about their amount. I know the ETF isn't the same between the 2 services. I don't know US Cellular's deposit amount is. I was fortunate to not need a deposit back in March 2002.

Collapse -
I had to pay a 300 deposit
by juelito / February 28, 2006 1:22 PM PST

The conclusion to this story is that I did in fact have to pay a hefty 300 dollar deposit. Oh well at least now I can start to build credit so maybe next time I will not have to. Thanks for your info!

Collapse -
FYI you get it all back in 1 year
by jbroshear / March 1, 2006 11:59 PM PST

so you're building credit and will get a nice suprise in 2007

Collapse -
Goodie
by juelito / March 2, 2006 1:15 AM PST

I was wondering when I would get it back; I assumed it would be after my two year contract was up. But you're right that will come in handy! I got the Freedom 1600 plan is that a good one?

Collapse -
Freedom 1600 is good if...
by Valikhanov / March 7, 2006 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Goodie

Only good if you're really going to use all those minutes!

Collapse -
I've been thinking...
by juelito / March 16, 2006 1:54 PM PST

... that I can't get rid of all these minutes!!! Is there any way to change plans?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dave, see above. Deposits vary by individual.
by jbroshear / March 1, 2006 10:12 PM PST
Collapse -
Dave, see above. Deposits vary by individual.
by dave1973 / March 2, 2006 11:06 AM PST

I understand that they vary for each individual. I do know that my local corporate Verizon stores can only demand a maximum of $400 per phone, should a customer need a deposit. I'm not sure what the laws are in Indiana on this topic, though I know that some deposits are rediculous. For the customer who went to Best Buy to try and get Cingular service, and the Cingular representative who was on site, called in to Cingular to inquire on a customer, and needed $3000 for 3 lines, while a Verizon representative who was also on site, quoted $1200 for 3 lines. I think sometimes some carriers try to take advantage of some potential customers. For the one who mentioned that he/she only needed $300; that's better than what Verizon requires in my area. Besides if a carrier thinks a person is too much of a risk, they should deny the person upfront than require a hefty deposit.

Collapse -
I agree
by jbroshear / March 5, 2006 11:23 PM PST

I do agree. The carriers are inconsistent and they almost never just reject people. Has anybody ever actually paid a $1000 deposit?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.