Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Purchase Price info on a tow behind rv

by TONI H / June 14, 2007 10:45 PM PDT

Derek and Heather are considering buying a used tow behind rv from some people we know. These people are notorious for buying stuff used at a very low price and then reselling it higher. I've seen the rv and it's in very good shape but it's a 1989 Fleetwood Wilderness and I believe they are asking much more for it than it's really worth retail. I suspect they paid four years ago when they bought it the same amount that they are asking for it now, but can't figure out how to do a sale (resale) search to find the history of what they paid for it.

Is there any way to research the information I need when all I have is their name and license plate number for it? I'm hesitant to ask for the VIN number or request to see the title that might have the information on it from them because I know it will raise red flags to them and possibly cause problems on a personal level between them and my son. I'm trying to find out what I need as discretely as possible but not sure how to go about doing it and I don't want Derek to be 'ripped off' by 'friends' we've known for 18 years now.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purchase Price info on a tow behind rv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purchase Price info on a tow behind rv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No help with research , but IMO
by JP Bill / June 14, 2007 11:19 PM PDT

I think RV Trailers are very difficult to check.

Selling to a "friend", Buying from a "friend"

Does the seller have a"special/reduced price" for Derek?

Let's say you discover the price they paid, and it's the same price as they're selling for.

I don't see any way to not create friction.

I would do some research for exactly the same model and what others are asking.

1989 Fleetwood Wilderness

Might be a better way to ensure fairness.

If the buyer are seller are happy it's a good deal.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Collapse -
(NT) RE:If the buyer AND seller are happy it's a good deal.
by JP Bill / June 14, 2007 11:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Derek did a search already
by TONI H / June 14, 2007 11:42 PM PDT

and found a 'kelly blue book' site for rv's....sent me the link and it showed a long list of options that the original purchaser could have ordered for it. After checking with the friends, I found that a good majority of those options are not on this one; however, the price for a 'base' rv without any options is only about $2500-3000 and even giving them the benefit of the doubt regarding the BTU's for the air conditioner and furnace, the larger apartment sized refrigerator that's in it, etc. the price Derek found is a high resell price of $4500. They are wanting $6000 and gave the impression that this was already a 'discounted' price to Derek since they've known him for so long.

I'm suspecting that the $6000 is what they paid for it (or less) four years ago when they bought it and are trying to get all of their money back without any further depreciation. I don't think they used it personally any more than a handful of times due to health reasons over the last few years and they are taking that into consideration for the price they want.

Right now the buyer (Derek) isn't a happy camper and is only considering it at this point because there is a large tarp that covers the whole thing during winter that we aren't even sure is going to be coming with it and the tarp is worth nearly $1000 which would possibly bring the sale price up to a 'reasonable' $5500 high end value. Since the friends didn't mention it coming it with the rv and brought it up in 'passing' to stress that the rv was well taken care of, I'm guessing they aren't planning to offer it up as part of the deal, but I plan to ask.

TONI

Collapse -
hi Toni, a quick 'google'
by jonah jones / June 14, 2007 11:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hi
by Patricia89 / June 15, 2007 2:21 AM PDT

I would check the price of insuring the vehicle.

Collapse -
NADA has an RV guide...not sure if '89 is listed.
by Cindi Haynes / June 15, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

Don't know of anywhere you can see what the previous owner actually paid for it.

Good luck! We just sold our popup camper cheap. Now, we've got 2 motorcycles for sale because we love riding the Goldwing so much they're not getting any use!

Cindi

Collapse -
Hi Toni..............
by Mac McMullen / June 15, 2007 9:16 AM PDT

There are too many RV re-sellers out there to get locked onto someone just because of a long personal acquaintance.

However, in any advising you may provide, make sure it is regarding the actual value of the rig, not if or not the seller is making a profit.

My strongest advice would be to obtain from the lot of a licensed RV dealer. No personal "quirks", now or later attached.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!