Desktops forum

General discussion

Purcasing new comp- need help- duo vs quad- processors ??

by jcbradley33 / August 21, 2009 5:47 AM PDT

I am needing a new desktop pc. mine is just very sluggish and there are missing files such where i cant defrag and a few other things. my current machine is 3 years old, it was custom built at a local shop, though i ve had a lot of issues with this one.

its Pentium 2.67gh dual core, 2G of Ram. my problem is i run alot of programs at once. my business is online, i have several websites so i have alot of different software applications open at once, i use firefox with 12+ tabs open at once and i know its a resource hog, jing, excel, word, outlook, money anda few others always open at once.

i know i can probably shut alot down but i dont so i need a computer to handle this. i just waste too much time in a day with the slowness of this thing.

i say all this bc the last time i told the guy what i did, he said, oh thats nothing, this is what you need and yes, it was fine for awhile but as i started to use more programs and add more stuff to my computer it would start to get slower. its nothing like i want it. i have a new laptop and that runs great but obviuosly it doesnt have all the stuff i have on my pc but that type of speed is what i want in a new desktop and need to know what i need to meet it.

so a few questiosn i have are..

1 - since i do a lot of multi-tasking, would a quad core be beneficial to me? i researched the forums on here for this issue and a bit confused, i hear its good for multi tasking but then i hear most software today wont utilize this yet. so thats why i listed what i use my computer for to see if i would benefit from a quad.

2 - also confused on processors and processing speeds. i see the AMD PhenomX4 but the ones i am looking at are 1.8 to 2.2gh with 4GB of Ram but these are all quad core while some others i looked at were 2.8 Intel duo core, and another triple core at 2.1gh AMD PhenomX3, both with 6GB of ram. so which would be giving me the best performance of what i need?

bottom line is just trying to find something where i can multitask and not have to worry about shutting down programs everytime i want to open up a new one just so the machine doesnt get sluggish.

this time i decided to get some advice instead of taking recommendations from a salesman.

thanks in advance

chris

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Purcasing new comp- need help- duo vs quad- processors ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Purcasing new comp- need help- duo vs quad- processors ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go for more cores
by damasta55r / August 21, 2009 6:03 AM PDT

look for phenom IIs, as the older phenoms by amd weren't that great. 4GB of ram and greater should be good. HP currently has 25% bing cashback, maybe you can configure a system there for cheap.

Collapse -
a 2.67 dual core should be plenty fast for you
by ramarc / August 21, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

if your pc is sluggish, you're probably running low on ram or have some crapware/malware. the apps you mention can consume a lot of ram, but they are not cpu intensive. i suggest you do delete any apps you don't use, do a reinstall of the os, and add another 1gb of ram.

if you must get a new pc, the low end phenoms you're looking at won't be much of an improvement since they're clocked slower than your existing pc. a pc with >4gb and either a 2.8ghz phenom ii or a 2.6 ghz core2quad should make you happy for the next few years.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?