Computer Help forum

Question

Pulsing noise with CDs played on WMP12

Some (not all) of my CDs won't play correctly with my Windows Media Player 12/Windows 7/Dell.

Sounds like a background pulsing noise; yet these same CDs play with no problem on my home stereo.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pulsing noise with CDs played on WMP12
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pulsing noise with CDs played on WMP12
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What if

In reply to: Pulsing noise with CDs played on WMP12

What if you used some other program such as WinAmp or iTunes to play the CD? Do you still hear the same noise? If yes, off the top of my head, I'd say it sounds like some kind of anti-copying scheme. Music companies in the past have toyed with ways of encoding the music so that your average dedicated CD player will either ignore or filter out the excess noise, but if you try playing it on a computer, where you could potentially copy the songs to MP3 (you know, for that pesky fair use thing afforded in copyright law) you wind up with "artifacts" in the sound.

Short of hoping that the music companies wake up and stop shooting themselves in the foot by intentionally providing an inferior product (and they seem more willing to go bankrupt than change), I don't know that there's anything you can do... Legally.

Now if the odd sound goes away with some other playback program, then it could be just some Windows Media Player oddity.

Collapse -
No other way to test

In reply to: What if

I have no other programs to test these CDs with. However, I did check the 'properties' of several CDs (ones that play correctly and the ones that don't), under the Media Usage Rights all of them display: "This file is not protected". Maybe this information on the CDs properties listing doesn't mean amything relative to what you are tallking about.

I also posted my issue on Window Live Forums, and got information about troubleshooting WMP as well as changing sound/enhancement settings, but none of this information improved the way these CDs sound when played.

Any other ideas - anyone????

Collapse -
Those other programs are free.

In reply to: No other way to test

It's not clear why some folk limit themselves like this. Your choice. Try others.

Collapse -
Didn't know

In reply to: Those other programs are free.

Did not know about WinApp or that it was free; so, limiting myself was not intentional. Anyway, downloaded it and played CDs with no problem.

However, after doing so, these same CDs also played correctly using WMP12. Would like to know why, if anyone has an idea.

Collapse -
Sorry but programmer talk follows.

In reply to: Didn't know

It could be that someone or app like those registry cleaners altered one of the filters (a Windows software thing) and WinAmp put it back. Why apps fix things like that is simple. It's fairly common to get support calls for issues and after awhile it's easier to fix the issue automatically than to suffer support calls.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.