Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Public Enemy Number One

by James Denison / July 25, 2013 7:02 AM PDT
Public Enemy Number One. Doing more now to destroy America than anyone else, even more than Obama, but probably at Obama's urging. Cohorts in crime.

"The U.S. Department of Justice plans to ask a federal court to reinstate
its authority over voting laws in Texas, part of a new Obama
administration strategy to challenge state and local election laws it
says discriminate by race, Attorney General Eric Holder said on
Thursday. ..A 5-4 conservative majority on the high court ruled that a formula
used to determine which states and localities were subject to extra
federal scrutiny was outdated.
The ruling freed Texas and select other jurisdictions from having to
submit their voting laws to the Justice Department before they could
take effect."

This next election we can put in some people who will put these guys back in their place, sit them back down hard.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Public Enemy Number One
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Public Enemy Number One
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why should he even care to eliminate whatever is left
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2013 9:45 AM PDT

of racism as it's served him so well as a tool to help him get elected.

Collapse -
"Whatever is left of racism?"
by Josh K / July 25, 2013 10:40 PM PDT

Steven, if you really think racism is fading into history, go on any news website (CNN, Fox, any of them), click on any article about the Zimmerman trial and scroll down to the reader comments. 80% of what's there is so revolting I can't even post it here without violating the ToS.

Collapse -
You can't expect any different from the blogosphere
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2013 11:07 PM PDT

You're only going to hear from the ones with the strongest opinions and not from the general population...most of whom are probably disinterested. That being said, you should find a comfy chair and forget about it. Now if you really want to show at least some speculative indication that racism still exists, you can look at the voting statistics over the past two elections where you don't have just the most rabid ones participating. In an ideal world, you'd see a 50-50 split among the races for any particular candidate. In the last election, 59% of whites went for Romney and 39% of them went for Obama. What does that mean as far as race goes? It could be said that 10% of whites voted largely on racial grounds. If that's true, we should look at the black population where 93% went for Obama and 6% for Romney. What would you make of that? Any reason to think race was involved? If you look back at 2008, the numbers are quite similar. If anyone thinks racism is widespread and that it would affect their voting choices, these numbers speak quite loudly. As such, if racism exists, it's being looked for in the wrong places.

Collapse -
I think you'd have to poll that 93%
by Josh K / July 25, 2013 11:20 PM PDT

Sure, some of them likely voted for Obama just because he's black. Whether those numbers cancel out the white people who voted against Obama just because he's black, I don't know. There's also probably a percentage who believed Romney was unlikely to understand their concerns or their historical experience as well as Obama. Heck, I'm white and middle class, and I didn't think Romney had a clue what it's like to not be a multimillionaire. Class-related concerns could have played into it also.

A non-white president is a big step forward in our country's racial history, no matter what you think of Obama personally or his politics, but stories like the Zimmerman/Martin case and the inequities in the justice system that it highlighted show us how far we still have to go.

Collapse -
It's just like you said then
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2013 11:27 PM PDT

about stories like the Zimmerman/Martin case. Who was it that focused on race and won't let go of it even after no evidence of it was found and presented? It was stories, ie fantasy tales.

Collapse -
Race entered into it in more than one way
by Josh K / July 25, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

Compare that case, for example, with that other case in Florida of a woman who fired a shot into the air to try to scare off her husband, who was threatening to attack her and was in her house in violation of a protective order. She got 20 years for attempted murder even though she intentionally pointed the gun away from him.

Collapse -
(NT) didn't go outside to shoot him?
by James Denison / July 26, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Doesn't matter
by Josh K / July 26, 2013 1:02 AM PDT

"Stand Your Ground" says you don't have to be in your house or on your property, though she was, in fact, in her home when she fired the gun. The bullet hole high up in the wall is the physical evidence that she wasn't aiming at her husband.

Collapse -
shot him in front or back of body?
by James Denison / July 26, 2013 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't matter

seems there was some defining reason it became vengeance more than defense.

Collapse -
She didn't shoot him at all
by Josh K / July 26, 2013 3:32 AM PDT

She didn't even shoot AT him, for the third time.

Collapse -
there's the problem
by James Denison / July 26, 2013 3:55 AM PDT

If she'd shot him dead, then dead man can't tell his side and make trouble for you.

Collapse -
(NT) Yes, we've already seen that concept at work, haven't we
by Josh K / July 27, 2013 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: there's the problem
Collapse -
Stand Your Ground also says
by TONI H / July 26, 2013 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Doesn't matter

that in order for it to be legal, you cannot leave, get your weapon, return, and THEN stand your ground. SHE left, went to her car, got her gun, then went back into the house.......THAT's why she was charged. Get your facts right, please.

Collapse -
It's her house
by Josh K / July 27, 2013 12:02 AM PDT

And he was violating a court order by being in it. She has a right to protect her home, no?

Collapse -
If she had had her gun
by TONI H / July 27, 2013 1:39 AM PDT
In reply to: It's her house

in the house at the time, yes, she could have 'stood her ground' and been fine with the law. She left the house, went to her car, retrieved the gun, and returned to the house. That's the part that convicted her.

Seems to me that if she was so afraid of him that she had to get a restraining order against him, wouldn't she have kept the gun close to her at all times?

Collapse -
Race didn't "enter" into it
by Steven Haninger / July 26, 2013 2:12 AM PDT

It was brought into it by those who make presumptions based on their own profiling of the type of case and the physical appearances of the persons involved. There are a few who make their living on the existence of the last vestiges of racism that can be found or that can be created by themselves. Their interest is to keep the fire of it burning. If your plan is to keep beating the drum against racism until the smoke from the ember is gone, you'll just make yourself deaf to the sounds of the greater harmony that has already been raised. It's time to put the sticks down before your tympanic nerve goes completely numb.

Collapse -
I'm having a hard time
by TONI H / July 26, 2013 5:10 AM PDT

NOT being pi$$ed off at BO, Holder, AS, JJ, the Black Caucus in Congress, et al for stirring up crap that, for the most part, doesn't exist anymore. How in hell did all of these black, successful politicians in the Congress and Senate, business owners, college professors, high-ranking military men, political appointees, Presidential cabinet holders, etc. all make it where they are if racism is still a huge issue in this country? Why aren't any of them speaking out about correcting the black on black crimes, the horrendous educational backgrounds of blacks who have the opportunity to go to school yet can barely read a job application, the massive numbers of babies born out of wedlock even with all the free birth control and Planned Parenthood clinics everywhere available to them, etc? These black leaders are nowhere to be found except to keep glorifying the greatness of BO who is the most divisive leader we have ever had and keeps encouraging that divide with every speech he makes or they are crying into tv cameras over how racist we are. It's all ******..

If blacks WANT to succeed in life, they DO......if they are happier with the hands-out, lazy, 'take care of me' attitudes, that's not only the life they lead but they pass that down to the next generation. There are low-lifes in every race and culture.....they make up a good majority of those in the social programs that BO wants kept in place and added to and are a huge drag on the very society that is forced to support them. That doesn't make society racist.....it makes society angry.

Collapse -
Because that would require
by James Denison / July 26, 2013 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm having a hard time

black people to do something about it instead of searching for some new imagined thing to blame on white people. You will never hear them admit that "blackie" is keeping them down, but will always hear it's "whitey" or "The Man" making them miserable.

Collapse -
Oh, I think it exists a-plenty
by Josh K / July 27, 2013 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm having a hard time

This thread is proof.

Collapse -
Only in your imagination, Josh
by TONI H / July 27, 2013 1:40 AM PDT

Just because those other than black can see actual problems that blacks don't want to deal with or find solutions for doesn't make us racists....it makes us realists who won't make excuses for them or anybody else anymore.

Collapse -
If I had a dollar....
by Josh K / July 27, 2013 11:37 AM PDT

.....for every time a racist defended his/her racism by claiming to be a "realist," I could have retired ages ago.

Collapse -
I wish I had one
by James Denison / July 27, 2013 4:29 PM PDT
In reply to: If I had a dollar....

for every liberal who said how equal everyone was and then turned around and wanted special privileges for those they considered as not equal to them.

Collapse -
so some are demonstrating online
by James Denison / July 26, 2013 12:51 AM PDT

and some on the street?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.