Computer Help forum

General discussion

PSU Question

by Break Man / May 15, 2010 6:36 PM PDT

I'm looking at buying a Motherboard 945GCT-HM (Livermore8)/Dual Core E2180 CPU/2Gb DDR2 RAM/ Radeon HD450 PCI-Express from one of my friends. I'll be able to do some simple video editing (windows moviemaker)which my current system(2.66Ghz P4 Socket 478 Northwood, 1Gb DDR400 RAM,128 Mb Radeon 9250, Win XP Home) does not allow. Taps out my CPU AT 100%.
The issue is my PSU.
I've checked on a a lot of PSU calculator sites which say the 280 Watt FSP power supply I have will do the job (Min PSU 222 Watts at extreme.outervision.com for example).In fact there is next to no difference between the current configuration and the proposed. Yeah, yeah I know I'm way under powered by today's standards but I live in New Zealand where things are not so cheap.
The new motherboard has a 24 pin ATX motherboard connector whereas my power supply only as a 20 pin. From what I understand the other four pins supply power to the PCI Express slot? That said it appears from what I've read the 20pin might still work, its just whether it will supply enough power to the PCI-e slot to make the system stable. There's some that say this is only an issue where there is more than one video card. This is where I'm confused. As I plan to buy a new system in the not too distant future I don't want to be shelling out unnecessary money now. Is it worth a try or not? Your views would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSU Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSU Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't offer much encouragement here
by Steven Haninger / May 15, 2010 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: PSU Question

Pins 21 to 24 on new power supplies provide 3 voltages that you already have. Google "ATX power supply pinout" to see these. While it's theoretically possible to make your own auxiliary connector tapping into the existing PS sources, I'd not do that with a marginal power supply. As a rough guess, I'd say you need a PS that specs at 350-400 watts to provide the extra insurance needed to deliver what you actually need. As well, did you check to see if that MB has an additional connection for CPU power. All of the socket 478 MBs I've seen do need that additional power source. Your PS would need a 4 pin connector dedicated to that purpose. I'd have to advise digging up a proper power supply here. It's probable that even your old one no long delivers the current it did when new.

Collapse -
PSU, in a nutshell
by Willy / May 15, 2010 7:59 PM PDT

Plain and simple, it doesn't hurt to have a very capable PSU that can deliever the goods. That means, even if only X-wattage is needed, add 100W to it to get a far better grip on wattage needs and a little to grow on. Cheap is cheap!!! A decent name brand will serve you better than any generic will even if rated at x-wattage during PEAK usage. No PSU is meant to run at PEAK wattage for long, but better build ones will. Look for the 82% proof rating, 100W above your current needs, 2-fan cooling(preferred) and all the connections you need. You can then buy whatever falls into that, but again, I stress "quality" pays for itself. Most modern and newer PSU provide a 24-pin main connection that is "breakable to 20+4-pin setup, so they can work with older 20-pin connections, look for that. That is not, what you stated, you need the 24-pin(together) and will work, but don't confuse the 4-pin required for Intel video or extra power plug to mtrbd.. While, I realize funds maybe an issue, consider what the costs would be if the PSU failed and took something else with it and/or corrupted data during weak operation outputs or just flaky/weird operation which happens. Since, you'll get a new mtrbd. then get the newer PSU for a good setup.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
PSU question aside
by Brechan / May 16, 2010 12:48 AM PDT

" I'm looking at buying a Motherboard 945GCT-HM (Livermore8)/Dual Core E2180 CPU/2Gb DDR2 RAM/ Radeon HD450 PCI-Express from one of my friends..."
" As I plan to buy a new system in the not too distant future I don't want to be shelling out unnecessary money now. "

It seems to me that buying an older computer (with an inadequate PSU) from a friend; when you plan on buying a system in the near future, is shelling out unecessary money from the start. Better to hold onto your cash until you buy the new PC.

Collapse -
Thanks for all your replies
by Break Man / May 16, 2010 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU question aside

Sounds like one option would be to bite the bullet and buy a decent PSU now which I can use in a new system later. Saving the money and putting into a new system later is another but I'd be stuck with the same problem of tapping out my CPU. Anyway, your comments have given some food for thought. I'll take some time and think about the best option to take. Thanks again

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!