Desktops forum

General discussion

PSU Enough Power?

by BretAli / February 27, 2015 3:48 AM PST

I want to do a new build soon with 2 Opteron 6272's, a supermicro H8DG6-F, a few fans along with 2 HDD's and one SSD. The extreme PSU calculator says around 738W peak usage (so 100%) and 690W at about 90%. In light of all of this, would I be able to get away with this 750W PSU: http://mypccase.com/sppor75at23s.html

Would that be cutting it too close? I'm open to suggestions.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSU Enough Power?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSU Enough Power?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's say you take your every day car
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2015 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: PSU Enough Power?

And yes, it can go 120MPH. Take it to a race track and how many laps will it go till something gives? Now back at 60, how long till something fails?

Same idea here. If you want reliable systems you tap the PSU for about 50% of it's max rating.

Another reason is that some PSUs when they fail, do so catastrophically. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/304723-28-system-components is one of 100's of posts about this.

My designs run 50 to70% of max. And if I have the time I hook up a P3 Watt meter and want to see under 50% of the PSU rating.
Bob

Collapse -
You said ....'too close' and I agree.
by VAPCMD / February 28, 2015 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: PSU Enough Power?

I want enough headroom to handle now plus some expansion and any loss of power due to aging component performance. And sometimes MORE power doesn't cost that much more as you can often find highly rated 850W 900W or 950W units that are only $5, $10, $15 or $20 more and that's usually not enough to break the bank/budget and gives you the headroom/reserve that be useful now or later.

Start with your budget for a good quality PSU and see what good quality units are within that range of tolerance above that after any discounts and rebates.

Let us know how it turns out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
On the hunt
by BretAli / March 4, 2015 3:43 AM PST

I postponed my progress for a second to more thoroughly filter my options and to finish a huge amount of school work. Thanks for the fair warnings Happy I'll definitely look for something closer to the 1000W range now.

Collapse -
(NT) Ok....let us know how it works out.
by VAPCMD / March 4, 2015 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: On the hunt
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?