Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pssssst....Wanna make $37,900?

by Paul C / September 14, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

This definitely is NOT a get rich scheme; to earn the cash, all you have to do is prove that the CBS National Guard "memos" are genuine:

n the past few days, more than 50,000 unique visitors have stumbled upon this website, due to the national attention surrounding the infamous Killian memos. Most of these visitors came after my initial offering of a $10,000 cashiers check to the first person who could exactly (and reasonably) reproduce the memos on technology available in 1972. While there has been some good debate as to the nature of what constitutes "reasonable", the general consensus seems to be this: the only "typewriter" which could create documents that look like the Killian memos is the IBM Selectric Composer typesetting machine, and that machine has been deemed inadequate to have created the memos by the nation's leading authorities on the Selectric line. At this time, after careful analysis of all available evidence, the belief that the CBS memos were created in 1972 cannot be rationally supported with any degree of intellectual honesty.

Amazingly, my email was flooded with not only people trying to claim the prize, but individuals who so strongly shared my belief that the documents were forgeries that they too, pledged significant amounts of money to the challenge. As of now, including my initial $10,000, the amount pledged stands at $37,900...

Of course, I cannot assure that all or even any of the dozens and dozens of "contributions" would ever be honored (other than my own). But I am very humbled and flattered at the offering, and in the unlikely event someone does satisfy the requirements of the challenge, they will receive a list of the names and addresses of all others who publicly offered funds as well.

Methinks that John Addis, the man behind the offer (and the blog) has made a safe bet here...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pssssst....Wanna make $37,900?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pssssst....Wanna make $37,900?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think that's called a safe bet.
by Kiddpeat / September 14, 2004 10:52 PM PDT

Even Las Vegas would not bet on the authenticity of those things. The amazing part is the continuing stonewall by CBS and Dan Rather.

Collapse -
Three hours past time ...
by Evie / September 15, 2004 5:10 AM PDT

... CBS said they would issue statement. This is going to win friends for sure!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: Pssssst....Wanna make $37,900?
by Josh K / September 14, 2004 11:18 PM PDT

Hi Paul:

There's also a site offering $50,000 to anyone who can prove Bush served as claimed in Alabama.

Collapse -
There is?
by Brian S. / September 15, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

How about providing a link to that site?

Collapse -
Re: There is?
by Josh K / September 15, 2004 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: There is?
Collapse -
Then as a good citizen you...
by Edward ODaniel / September 15, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

should contact Lt. Col. John "Bill" Calhoun:

Calhoun is named in 187th unit rosters obtained by the AP as serving under the deputy commander of operations plans. Bush was in Alabama on non-flying status.

"He sat in my office most of the time ? he would read," Calhoun said. "He had your training manuals from your aircraft he was flying. He'd study those some. He'd read safety magazines, which is a common thing for pilots."

He might share it with your if he was made aware of it.

A CAREFUL read of this article might make clear why pay records do not necessarily match what the non-military expect because "Guardsmen who performed "equivalent duty" outside their primary base typically weren't paid for those drills, but still earned points or credits toward retirement."

And here is another that points out the falacy of those quoting Turnipseed saying that Bush never showed up simply because Walter Robinson of the Boston Globe claimed he said it. Walter Robinson, by the way, is the only Pulitzer Prize winning reporter to ever be successfully sued for libel and he has backed of in his assertions because back in February AFTER he broke the initial incorrect "story" he stated in his column that"

"President Bush received credit for attending Air National Guard drills in the fall of 1972 and spring of 1973 ? a period when his commanders have said he did not appear for duty at bases in Montgomery, Ala., and Houston ? according to two new documents obtained by the Globe."

Problem is the damage was done and those "reporters" with no knowledge of the military continued to "report" and perpetuate the inaccurate information widely believed by their public (also widely aflicted with no knowledge of the military).

Collapse -
Re: Then as a good citizen you...
by Josh K / September 15, 2004 5:22 AM PDT

Sure, put me in touch with him and I'll split my cut with you.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?