Phones forum

General discussion

PSP vs. PDA - Which option is better?

by cbaldia / April 6, 2006 10:43 PM PDT

I am currently looking for a handheld that will allow me to do two things: Browse the internet and watch movies. I am not much of a music fan, and anything more than 50 songs on a device is too much for me. I really want a handheld that allows me to check my email, check websites such as ESPN, CBS Sportsline, and Yahoo! Sports (I play fantasy sports, and also enjoy my sports updates). I also would like a device that would allow me to carry 3-4 movies at a time. This is all I need. I know the PSP has a web browser (don't know if it is capable of handling some websites) and can play movies, I also know the Palm TX has a web browser (better web browser than the PSP?) and can play movies. Are any of these options capable of meeting my needs? In summary here are the things I am looking for in a handheld: #1-Internet Browsing, #2-Movie Viewing, #3-Music/Games (though I could do without either of those options). Any help or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSP vs. PDA - Which option is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSP vs. PDA - Which option is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PDA...
by John.Wilkinson / April 7, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

This is a case where the PSP is about equal to the PDA, but here's a few quick points to help get you pointed in the right direction:

* No matter which one you go with you'll need to reply on multiple memory cards...you'll want 1 DVD per 1GB memory card for the best quality. For a PDA that would be SD or CF cards, while the PSP accepts the Sony Memory Stick Duo.

* When it comes to web browsers, the PDA wins for ease-of-use be it Pocket Internet Explorer (PIE) for Windows Mobile, Blazer for Palm, or one of the third-party browsers, such as Opera (paid only), Minimo (PocketPC version of Firefox), etc. However, the PSP can hold its own, as seen in this review.

* Note that a mobile browser is quite different from the ones on your PC, though. For instance, they don't handle Java, Shockwave, Flash, and such...there are plugins available but you won't have full functionality. For instance, I cannot access Yahoo! Games (the main page)...it loads half-way then PIE crashes. I believe pocket Opera can load the page, but fails when attempting to play a game. Just make sure you know the limitations going in. (Note: Yahoo mail, ESPN, and such all work fine, though you cannot play video content.)

* For playing videos, the PSP would likely be my first option as it's one of the unit's primary functions. However, the Dell Axim X51v is also a competitor...it has a 3.7" VGA screen (smaller but higher quality than the PSP) and a multimedia accelerator, things other PDAs generally lack. The X51v's currently on sale for $374, normally $499. The Palm TX would come in a little ways down the road at #3.

* For playing games, it depends...do you want to play action games or arcade and thought games? The PSP is better for the former because of the number of games ported to UMD form. With a PDA there aren't as many action games, but there is a much larger selection of games overall, some of which are free.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback
by cbaldia / April 7, 2006 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: PDA...

Thanks for the reply it has given me the information I need to make an informative decision. Much appreciated.

-Brazicle

Collapse -
u want pda
by DrNick664 / April 8, 2006 5:38 AM PDT

so u want to watch moveis? hes right the psp only has one place for a stick while other things have dual + ive seen conpact flash cards up to 8gb so thats plenty for movies. and u want email too? you can download a program to sync your email to your pda.

Collapse -
re: u want pda
by ackmondual / April 17, 2006 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: u want pda

The Tapwave Zodiacs have dual SD card slots. AFAIK, PPCs with dual slots are one or the other. It's like a single slot that can accomodate a CF _or_ SD card, but not both at the same time.

And IIRC (i thought i remember from somewhere), CF cards are maxed out at 16GB capacities. Of course there's a premium on them, but for those with the $$ and want the extra capacity on single cards, it's worth it.

This link shows that at the very least, 12GB CF flash cards are avaialable, but the price cut from $9,999 to $4,999 isn't exactly practical for most ppl.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0507/05072804pretec_4gbcard.asp

Collapse -
OH my.....
by gopherit912 / April 17, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: re: u want pda

I thought the Zodiac was already Dead. Please people let it rest in peace. A Regular PDA should Suffice anyways.

Collapse -
re: OH my.....
by ackmondual / May 2, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: OH my.....

That's a matter of perspective. The zods have an online community that's as strong as it ever was.

The flipside is some argue it was dead to begin with, as Tapwave doesn't have the deep pockets of Nokia nor Sony. Sony's PSP announcement and stealing devs for upcoming games didn't help them either.

As long as ppl can still talk about Palm Pilots, Ngage QDs, Gizmondos, and old-*** cell phones, I think the zods are fair game.

Collapse -
Heh
by gopherit912 / May 2, 2006 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: re: OH my.....

Well I got my Infromation from Journalists. I truly thought it was Dead.

Yeah Sony has Deep Pockets and the Backing of Game Developers. It was Designed for Gaming First. The Zodiac didn't stand a Chance. As for Gizmondo if it isn't dead then it should be soon and Nokia's Gamerphone known as the N Gage QD I know is still around but it doesn't get many Games.

Also Keep in Mind even if Sony hadn't gone Handheld these Same Items probably would've fell to Nintendo's GBA and DS.

As for Old *** Cellphones well No Comment. lol

C'ya around the CNet Crowd.

Collapse -
you can actually fit more movies on a 1GB card
by ackmondual / April 17, 2006 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: PDA...

If you're not a videophile, then PDA users have down converted the resolution, framerates, and bitrate of movies to fit a 2 hour movie onto a 256MB chunk of space. You could fit up to 8 movies on a 2GB card and still have the best mix of low footprint and quality

Collapse -
for PDA/.PPCs or PSPs?
by Tien-Avenger / April 17, 2006 1:52 PM PDT

Granted the PSP does have a screen so nice it'll make you wanna slap your mother but it's so picky about video formats. It just gots to be some form or MPEG4 (i dont know exactly i saw through all the hype and didnt buy a PSP).

Pocket PCs use Windows Media so it's more universial to other formats that are already swarming around the internet.

Drive space isnt really much of a problem if you're resourceful. a PSP can take a microdrive with some modification so add 150-170(ebay average) for a 4 gig microdrive OR you can dish out some serious moneyage and get the kit that includes the 4x battery and covers that match as well.

Pocket PC users can just plug that drive into their CF slots if they support it

Then again there's loading time. I've heard PSPs have long..........loading times (something about UMDs not spinning due to preserveing battery life).

Cant say anything about PPCs cause my Axim x51v is on order and pending shipment but so far the x30 had real good playback reading from a generic 1gig SD card

Collapse -
The UMDs Don't spin
by gopherit912 / April 17, 2006 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: for PDA/.PPCs or PSPs?

The Load times Suck
The Battery Life Sucks (For UMD Movies)
2.5 hours of UMD Movie Playback before the Battery Dies
etc
etc

Collapse -
Hacked Xbox or PC
by Tien-Avenger / April 7, 2006 2:42 PM PDT

sorry but this is what your PSP vs PDA thing is reminding me of. Remember deep down the PSP is still created and designed to play video games everything else is a robustly over rated 'feature' (think when the PS2 came out...can anyone say 'emotion engine'?)

Sure the PSP can play movies but really...why would anyone pay for a UMD when it's the same price as a DVD player is is restricted to only being acceptable in PSPs? also playing movies on a PSP is a pain in itself not only does it not accept so many common video formats find good encoding software without spending some hard earned paper is a chore.

I can go on and on about why the PSP is all hype and why it's a bad choice but the one thing the PSP has over a PDA or PPC is that it probably has longer battery life then a PDA or PPC because it was designed to run for some time for high proformance processing unlike PPCs and PDAs which are generally well rounded tools.

Collapse -
HAHA I've seen PSP vs DS
by gopherit912 / April 15, 2006 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Hacked Xbox or PC

But PSP vs PDA is new to me. HAHAHAHA

Well you probably already Decided. You want 2 Main things: Web Browsing and Movies. So your Choice Should Be PDA. I myself haven't tested the PSP's Web Browser because well I never got around to getting one. I'm a Gamer First so I got the DS First.

Ok Now about Movies. This is odd. I'll break it down though. PSP has either Memory Stick Movies that you but on there or UMDs. If you're not one for Formatting Memory Sticks well the UMDs would be a good option. Now here this: Load Times are long. The Universal Media Disc does not Spin. This is a way to Conserve Battery Life. You can get somewhere around 5 hours of Media from Memory Stick and 2.5 hours of UMD Media. These Numbers come from the March (or April) Issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly.

Now for the Browser. Well you don't have a Mouse or Keyboard on the PSP so that would be a Pain. At least a Pedia makes it a little easier.

You are obviously not much of a Gamer so that takes away the PSPs only line of Defense. Although if you enjoyed Playstation 1 Games before an Update will allow you to Download PS1 Games onto your PSP. Or so the Rumors say as I still consider it a Rumor because I'm too lazy to go around the Net to Confirm it at a Trustworthy Source.

That's not all though. UMD Support is being Pulled from Wal*Mart (I hate Wal*Mart anyways) and Hollywood meaning you'd have to add your Own Videos to Memory Sticks anyways.

The Conclusion here: I think the PDA just Kicked the PSP in the *** for this round. Not something you see everyday. :S lol

C'ya around the CNET Crowd. Grin

Collapse -
If You Want it All.....
by thebeingwithin / April 18, 2006 12:32 PM PDT

I have a PSP and a Treo 650. I barely touch the PSP. The Treo does everything a PDA does PLUS doubles as a cell phone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.