Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

PSP OR IPOD VIDEO?

by Xboxfan360 / October 29, 2005 2:29 AM PDT

hey everybody, ive been looking for a mp3/video player with good quality for under 300$. I was first looking at the video ipod which is 300 but then i thought about the psp which is 250 plus it plays games and UMD movies. IF any of you have one or the other an recommend it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PSP OR IPOD VIDEO?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PSP OR IPOD VIDEO?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
VIDEO IPOD
by metalbowser / October 29, 2005 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: PSP OR IPOD VIDEO?

Video ipod is way better, PSP doesn't have the sound quality and the movies drain bettery like no tommrow. the games are good though. It's a great gaming device for people who don't mind the killer loading times. But video does however show better on the video Ipod.

Collapse -
PSP PSP!
by sethismyname1 / October 30, 2005 5:54 AM PST

Go for the PSP. The video ipod is gonna end up having some jacked up problem ike the nano i bought. Sony is a way better company than Apple and you get web browsing with a PSP

Collapse -
PSP!
by wheelzntoys / October 30, 2005 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: PSP PSP!

PSP: You get an excellent screen

Apple: Probably a larger amount of video selections.

I have the PSP, there are many programs to encode DVDs so they can play on the PSP.

Collapse -
Got the PSP!
by tvsurfer / November 28, 2005 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: PSP!

Is there a quick tutorial on how to load encoded DVDs onto the PSP?
Appreciate any feedback

Collapse -
PSP
by Nickandsuch / November 14, 2005 5:04 AM PST

plus with the psp you can download videos, and audio wirelessly unlike the ipod.

Collapse -
Does the psp have FM Transmitter
by sj1226 / November 21, 2005 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: PSP

Ok i am also looking into buying a psp or I-pod but the thing i really like about the i-pods is i could put my music on there and play it throught my car strero. Is there an attachment that the psp could do the same. Or any other media player. I am more looking for a music and movie player.
Any ideas

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Then you want the IPOd video or any other PVP's
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 24, 2005 12:55 AM PST
Collapse -
RSS
by cycoclone / April 11, 2006 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: PSP

Does anyone know where i can find some good music RSS feeds. and where do you guys get your videos for ur PSP from

Collapse -
Closer than you think
by Jotas / April 14, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: RSS
Collapse -
Archos is a great choice
by Eddiefromalienwarecomps / November 15, 2005 12:53 PM PST

Archos is a great choice for anybody that wants video/music/tv all in one device. The Archos AV 500 mobile DVR is a great choice considering I have the deivce. I also have the PSP. The PSP does beat the Ipod. I have met people that have done really crazy things with their PSP. There was this one guy in the subway who was playing Nintendo 64 games on his PSP. He saved the games on his 2gb memory stick. You would think that the N64 was dead, but the PSP rejuvenatated it. He told me he gets games and saves them on his memory stck, with out buying UMDs. Apparently he downloads them and loads them up on his PSP. The whole point is if you unlock all of the PSP's secrets, you can do a whole lot morethan the Ipod.

Collapse -
psp yo
by istanton / October 30, 2005 7:57 PM PST

i have psp and i just got the ipod for my birthday so if your getting it for music go with ipod but if your getting it for video get psp. you cant delete videos from the ipod, you have to connect it and delete from your computer but you can delete videos from the directly from the psp. psp video is also better quality.

Collapse -
Re: PSP or IPOd
by flosgrits / November 2, 2005 4:17 AM PST

PSP. It's made for actual movies. The Ipod is more for short videos.

Collapse -
leaning towards PSP
by ackmondual / November 2, 2005 5:02 AM PST

If you want LOTS of music, then definately ipod video. You can spend x10 the amount of $$ on Memory Sticks alone vs the Ipod Video and it still wouldn't be close to the capacity of the Ipod Video.

short video clips up to TV shows..... IV. It's readily available on itunes.

long vid clips and moviees..... PSP. I would like a screen as large as possible for this, and the PSP's 480x272 screen is much better suited for this task.

If you have other Sony gear like a Cybershot digicam, u'll be able to reuse your Memory Sticks across your Sony stuff

Collapse -
Also consider the Archos for video
by ackmondual / November 2, 2005 5:04 AM PST

Some1 on Cnet said he could record TV shows for free from his PC (like with Tivo or standard VCR) and watch them on the go. It has a much bigger screen than the ipod video, but likely smaller than the PSP's

Collapse -
iPod Video
by GSRich78 / November 2, 2005 10:45 AM PST

I 'd rather get an ipod video because why would you want to buy UMD discs. They can only be played on the PSPs and not on other dvd players. UMD's are like Mini disc, they never caught on with the consumers. Built in HDs are the way to go. But if youre into games on the go, get the PSP

Collapse -
rsdtfcuictuhuj
by HanzooznaH / November 6, 2005 8:55 AM PST

Well I have psp and i think it's great but there are better memory cards then sony makes and really cheap and hold more memory

Collapse -
Stick with the PSP
by Shawn4168 / November 6, 2005 12:36 PM PST

I would have to recommend the PSP to you solely on the basis that I have had a much better experience with Sony as a company than I have Apple. Apple's products are extremely poorly made, and their customer service is even poorer. I tried to return a defective iPod Nano 2 weeks after I bought it, and I ended up calling for a RMA, returning it, and getting the exact same unit back, not repaired or anything. The company then refused to accept the unit again. Sony, on the other hand...well, I bought a used Playstation 2 over 3 1/2 years ago, and I have yet to have a single problem with it. I also own a Sony television and it is wonderful. So I would go for the PSP, simply because you know you're buying a high-quality product from a high-quality company.

Collapse -
Video Ipod
by navenoxin / November 14, 2005 12:04 PM PST

I definatly prefer video ipod- it will handle more types of video and does not require those stupid UMD discs to view videos (i figure they will be obsolete very soon). I also like the massive 60GB hard drive and music is coo too.

I guess PSP is better quality for video though, with the bigger screen. It also is pretty pimp for gaming. I think that the ipod would probably be the more compatible option, because it is more tailored to video and will be offfering many more videos than the PSP.

Collapse -
None, I Prefer Archos AV500 or Cowon A2, The best PMP's .
by parapunx / November 15, 2005 12:08 PM PST

People wake up, The Archos av500 & the Cowon A2 ,are the way to go , both are wide screen with 30 GB, record from TV, DVD or computer , screen is big & they both look nice in your jean pocket. store pictures ,Mp3s. go to their web site & look for yoursef why the people who own this 2 little gadgets make fun of the Ipod video & PSP

Collapse -
Loading DVDs to A2
by Roobin / November 24, 2005 10:01 PM PST

I agree....Archos AV500 or Cowon A2 are the best out there.

I am seriously considering the A2 and would like to know how easy it is to upload DVDs that I have purchased. I believe you can at least record them from a DVD player onto the A2....but, geez, that takes too much time. Can the DVD be copied (uploaded) onto the A2 via file transfer? Thanks for any respones.

Collapse -
A2 vs iAudio x5l
by tom tindall / December 8, 2005 12:18 AM PST

Can the A2 handle all of the audio (playlists on the go,etc) tasks that the iAudio x5l can? What are the major differances between the 2 besides screen size?

Collapse -
PSP FM Transmitter?
by sj1226 / November 21, 2005 11:16 AM PST

Ok i am also looking into buying a psp or I-pod but the thing i really like about the i-pods is i could put my music on there and play it throught my car strero. Is there an attachment that the psp could do the same. Or any other media player. I am more looking for a music and movie player.
Any ideas

Collapse -
PsP
by DigtalPimp / December 6, 2005 8:16 AM PST

You should read the reviews on both of them.
You Probably already have though.

If you want just plain video, go with the Ipod Video

BUT...

You can get the PSP, Which I recommend.

The PSP's can play your movies.

You can either rent a DVD and copy it to a Memomey Card.
Or buy a UMD containing a movie.

You could copy DVD's to your psp's memory card (You should get a bigger one) It wont take up that much memory though, there is a converter that converts the movies for the PSP's screen size. So you dont need the quality of the TV.
The thing about the Ipod Video is, it's got the smallest screen. You can enjoy movies better on a PSP.

You can play MP3's. Download righ to the memory stick.

The cost is pretty expensive.

PSP = $250 + 1 GB memory card = $320
I got a 1 GB memory card ($120) from ebay for $58.

Ipod Video 30 GB = 299
////////// 60 BG = 399

Pretty expensive.

Tell me what you end up getting in the end, Good luck

Collapse -
Apple iPod Video 60GB
by dfikehongkong / April 14, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

I would reccomend the ipod Video for many reasons. One of the would be the price- a 60GB ipod would give you 150 hours of video whereas a PSP would give you around 2 hours of video for every 1 GB card( $58 ) this would mean that if you wanted to have the same storage, you would would need to buy $4,350 worth of 1GB memory cards. Besides's if you wanted to buy movies on UMD's- it would cost you $45 for the same DVD you have already have. A iPod Video also has looks above everything else- GO FOR THE IPOD VIDEO!

Collapse -
PSP vs. IPOD Video
by drgthang / April 15, 2006 6:09 AM PDT

I have both of these items..Keep in mind the PSP while $250 is going to require you to buy a 1 gig memory stick for about 60-80bucks, so you can actually put your own videos/mp3s on it. Even then that isnt a lot of storage. Ive found that after I bought a UMD I ended up selling it back on ebay..Id rather rent the movies instead of have to buy it on UMD. The IPOD video has 30 or 60 gig of storage depending on which you get. You really need to figure out what you want more; features or alot of storage for your music/movies. The PSP gives you great extra features like ability to play video games, use Wi fi internet, etc.

But If you want a good MP3/Video player, Id say the IPOD is better. More storage, easy to use software and great quality. They are rumouring a new IPOD video with larger screen and controls around the screen is coming soon..so you may just want to be patient.

MC

Collapse -
easy
by askhawkins / May 1, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

thats an easy question, PSP all the way!!!!!!!

Collapse -
PSP Movies
by ipod-movies / February 5, 2010 6:15 AM PST

There is a website where you can download PSP movies worldwide without the region restrictions. These PSP movies are much cheaper than a UMD. http://www.psp-lounge.com is not a P2P site and no membership is required!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?